PDA

View Full Version : 1958D double die or double striking??? Help

babydollgranny
10-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi, I am new to coin collecting. I found this coin in some that i have saved through the years and it looks like a double die to me but I can't find it in the books or web. Can someone tell me what you think? I apologize for the pics, i just dont know how you guys get such great pics :) Any help you can give me about this coin is appreciated.

legend
10-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Hey folks, this is a newbie who had a 1999 on EBAY, and she asked my opinion on whether it really was a Wide AM. I told her no and she pulled the auction. Since then, she has been going through pennies, and wanted my opinion on this one. Trouble is, I am not qualified to answer the question, and so I directed her here. She is sincere in wanting an accurate description for sales, which is the right way to make good sales. All help is appreciated, and thanks. I don't have a nickel in this, so chime in.

1sgret
10-22-2008, 01:21 AM
By your photos and the shelf like appearance it is Mechanical Die Doubling (MDD). Sorry it does not represent a doubled Die. Lets see what others have to say. Good Luck and Welcome to the LCR.

Brad
10-22-2008, 03:33 AM
Read this:
http://www.lincolncentresource.com/FAQ/machinedoubling.html

rockdude
10-28-2008, 04:19 PM
MDD, the damage involves the mint mark.