PDA

View Full Version : [Example] No Date "D" 1C Double Struck and More!!!!

1sgret
10-24-2008, 09:49 AM
:tinysmile_hmm_t2: This is a Lincoln 1C that has been Double Struck and Both Strikes are Off Center on a Straight Clipped Planchet.

This is an unusual combination and also being a 196__-"D" Mint Mark.

CCC
10-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Nice. How does a straight clip happen?

1sgret
10-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Older presses used the "half width" strip of metal to punch out planchets. If the slitter was used to slit the metal lengthwise to a half width then the results is two half width rolls.
If the during the slitting operation the cutters lose control of the strip the slitting may not be down the center which would result in a narrower strip being fed into the blanking press and during the punching out of the blanking dies it would weave laterally.
If this happed it is quite possible that the side edge of strip would fall under one end of the blanking punches and it would come out as an incomplete formed planchet (one side cut straight) that would be stamped into a coin with one side incomplete.

Also possibility is the beginning or the final end of the metal strips for blanks being accidentally punched out.

CCC
10-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Makes sense. I guess quality control missed at least 1 blank planchlet. Thank's for the information Joe. Now I know.

nightowl
10-24-2008, 03:25 PM
He is the Quality Conrol guy. Where you think he comes up with all these sweet coins.:LOL_Hair:

CCC
10-24-2008, 03:30 PM
He is the Quality Conrol guy. Where you think he comes up with all these sweet coins.:LOL_Hair:

I wasn't going to say that but............

OCD
10-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Nice!! Hey Joe I'd like the keys to the mint when you retire.:LOL_Hair:

1sgret
10-24-2008, 04:17 PM
They keys will be on our favorite Auction Site in about 9 Months and they go to the highest BIDDDDDDDDER! Thanks for the nice comments YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Joe