PDA

View Full Version : 1940S poss RPM

JeanK
10-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Found today this 1940S which looks as if it has split serifs on the bottom, and the upper most point of the top 'trumpet'. Comparing the mint mark location I have found these two that it could be, RPM 1c #3, or RPM 1c #6.
I cannot find any of the noted markers for this coin.
Opinions welcomed.
JeanK

CCC
10-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Jean, If my eyes aren't playing tricks on me, I also see it to the East. If so I would say Die Deterioation.

JeanK
10-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Hi David,
As far as I can tell I can only see the splits at the very top and the very bottom.
There appears to be no visible mm doubling around the S. The coin seems to be in fairly good condition, but I think it has been cleaned in a conservative manner before I found it in a big bag of wheat cents.
The closeup picture is from my QX5. All of the three possible magnifications are not as clear as one would like to have.
I will see if I can get a better close up and post it.
JeanK

mustbebob
10-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Jean,
I do see the splits you are talking about. My thinking is that this may indeed be an RPM. It does not match any of the known RPMs as far as I can tell.

JeanK
10-30-2008, 05:11 PM
I took many more pictures but I cannot get a clear shot of the coin obverse.
I was surprised to notice the split with my 10x magnifier. The QX5 is okay for finding
things, but not so great in clarity. Nonetheless, this is probably a keeper.
Thank you Bob.

JeanK

CCC
10-30-2008, 05:20 PM
It is a keeper Jean. I was referring to what looked like in your pictue as perhap's die deterioation. I definately see split serifs on the North and South of the MM to the West.

JeanK
10-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks David.
It is great to have collectors rally around when you find something you think might be a variety or error coin.
Oh, on an earlier post you were directed to 'think backwards and inverted'.
I guess this means you stand on your head and cross your eyes to figure out what it
is that you are looking at. :tinysmile_eyebrow_t
JeanK

CCC
10-30-2008, 05:33 PM
:LOL_Hair:

CCC
10-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Jean, Sometimes when it's not a habit to look for such thing's as a clash or other type error's, it is alway's good to be reminded that RPM's aren't the only things to look for. I think I would have a hard time watching TV like that.

JeanK
10-30-2008, 08:01 PM
I purchased this 1945 P Lincoln from a seller for $1.00, plus shipping.
While checking it for quality I found my very first die clash. Check behind the bust down to the collar, then next to the eyes and down to under the chin.
This is one of the most difficult coins I have ever photographed.
When I took it to a well known coin dealer to have him check it he told me what it was, and that it is quite common. He also told me that the reverse is not one but a double strike clash. He also graded it MS65.
JeanK

OCD
10-31-2008, 03:39 AM
Nice clash. :)

1sgret
10-31-2008, 05:45 AM
Nice Find! Joe

mustbebob
10-31-2008, 06:58 AM
This is a very nice example of a wheatie clash Jean!