PDA

View Full Version : 1968 D Reverse Columns

CCC
10-30-2008, 04:09 PM
At first I thought that when the engraver polished the dies they were a scratches. Then I realized that they were wider than the scratches. The die scratches vs. the extra column are running at a different angle. The flow lines are running NE to SW. Are these what are call "Striations"? Or is this some type of clash. I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated.

mustbebob
10-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Now this looks somewhat interesting. It is possible that they are older gouges/scratches, and maybe the coin got a subsequent polishing. I think we can rule out a doubled die as the spacing is wrong. Anyone else???

CCC
10-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Now this looks somewhat interesting. It is possible that they are older gouges/scratches, and maybe the coin got a subsequent polishing. I think we can rule out a doubled die as the spacing is wrong. Anyone else???

Good question Bob.:) My intent was to find out why the extra thickness was there. Either it be Columns rotated or the scratches expanded or widened some how NE to SW. I am confused on this one.

JeanK
10-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Some of those lines look as if they are the opposite of the grooves in the columns, as in a die clash.The last picture has an anomaly between and at the top of two columns, which look suspiciously like a die clash. Super nice coin David.
Just a thought...
JeanK