PDA

View Full Version : is it safe to remove this and how?

EgCollector
02-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Hi all,

Have some WLC with a sort of dirt (i dont know if this is the right word) on them. These are pics of one of them and i wish to know if you guys remove this from cents and how? I read about using pure acetone, olive oil and some have recommended Vaseline?!!
The collectors who said so said that this should not be considered cleaning and should leave the coin surface without any scratches or change the coin color.

I cant test any of these methods on a coin, I am even afraid to place them under water as i don't have any duplicates of these so i will take your advice of what to do?

Thanks

Antiquity
02-13-2012, 04:23 PM
I do nothing, just leave them be, dont trust myself not to ruin them.

jcuve
02-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Anything you do to them, you risk damaging them. I would leave them.

pman860507
02-13-2012, 04:30 PM
you dont have any doops do i would say leave it. if you have extra then play with it. Im not sure whats on your coin but vegicare might be able to take it off. i have used it in the past with good results.

uglycent
02-13-2012, 04:42 PM
I occasionally use a bit of 90%+ rubbing alcohol on a q-tip and LIGHTLY wipe to dissolve any oil based of loose material. It flashes off fast and does not leave any residue. Just do not rub hard, the cotton can be abrasive and use only the high strength alcohol the other has water or other reducers in them. Also never use on red or precious coins!
Sometimes it is best to leave them alone also, some metal corrosion seals the bare material off from continued oxidation or at least slows it down. Cleaning can accelerate corrosion by exposing the weakness to oxygen or other corrosives in the atmosphere.

mustbebob
02-13-2012, 04:46 PM
I would recommend Verdi-care or nothing. Acetone will also not harm the surface, but it has to be pure acetone, not fingernail polish remover type.
Before doing anything, see if you can find some junk coins that seem to have the same stuff on them, and practice on those first.

EgCollector
02-14-2012, 04:53 AM
Thank you all very much

Wayne
02-14-2012, 01:31 PM
I usually use one of these.Removes everything.:LOL_Hair::LOL_Hair::LOL_Hair:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e7/zipbangdoodle/WireWheel.jpg

uglycent
02-14-2012, 04:29 PM
I love it, I'll give that a try