PDA

View Full Version : Digital Microscope

Paul
02-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Has anybody used or purchased the "Celestron" hand held digital microscope? It is model # 44302 it comes with a stand and software to take photos and short videos, it is 10x to 40x and 150x digital power. The camera is 2.0 MP with 1600 x 1200 pixel array, It runs about $60.00. It is suppose to be ideal for coin and stamp collectors. If anybody has this please let me know how you like it. Or if you have any comments on this item please feel free to comment. I am considering purchasing this.

Thanks
Paul

jallengomez
02-17-2012, 12:12 PM
My personal experience with hand helds, and the experience of others that I have read have all been negative. I think you would be far better off choosing a trinocular scope. Several of us here use and have had success with AmScope models.

Jody

Scott99
02-17-2012, 12:24 PM
I'd also suggest doubling your budget and just getting an actual microscope. I used a handheld digital microscope (Veho) for a while and it worked alright.

I decided to get a microscope because the handheld only had 2 magnification settings unlike what the ad described. It was either 20X or 400X. Nothing in between. Sometimes 20x is not close enough and 400x is way too close. Not to mention with it having to go through a camera to see the coin, often the details of the coin get blown out by hotspots from the light.

If I could go back to when I bought the digital microscope, I would have definitely chosen the actual microscope instead knowing what I do now. No amount of pixels can substitute for your own eyes. With a microscope, you see EVERYTHING! :)

uglycent
02-17-2012, 02:22 PM
I have the one you have, Someone gave it to me to try out. It works good for general observing but is not a high quality unit for posting hard to see items on the forum. The lighting is overpowering for quality imaging.
For a budget unit that I have found more satisfactory I use a Veho VMS004 Deluxe. It has an adjustable light, faster photo time and higher resolution (400x). I picked this model up on Amazon for 69.00.
But I also agree with the other post that for more professional results neither of these are of that quality.
Beat wishes. Anthony

coop
02-17-2012, 02:28 PM
The biggest problem with the cheaper scopes is the poor lighting and the plastic lens they use in them.

Antiquity
02-17-2012, 03:29 PM
I had one, for about 1 month, wasnt worth nothing, gave it to a relative who is more of a begginer than me, upgraded to an amscope. BEAUTIFUL! (still looking for the right camera for it....)

jfines69
02-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Exact model I have... It is not the best for pics... Difficult to focus... The leds cause to much glare... I even tried using indullable ink over the bulbs but that didn't help... Tried a bunch of different things but none of those really helped... I think I waisted my money... I am now saving up to get a real microscope and a 10 mp camera to go with it!!!

Coppertop
02-18-2012, 01:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2RSGBW2sEU

Watch this video, it will give you a good idea about this scope. It is a great entry level scope for the price, but if you demand quality or not deal with LED lighting issues go with the suggested above.

\

Rollem
02-18-2012, 06:48 AM
Hi Paul,
I have once again watched this thread on scopes. Two years ago my scope was partly sold by accident in junk from basement when I was in rehab from stroke.

I have since purchased five of the below, two I still have and three given to friends. That love them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2MP-8-LED-USB-Digital-Microscope-endoscope-2-0-Mega-Pixels-Magnifier-500X-Camera-/380411787847?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58924f3a47#ht_3203wt_934

While I see a lot of less than good comments about them, I have found them very hard to beat for the price. (Even the grand kids look at coins with it)
The pictures aren't professional but are adequate for display and examine.

Now the trick was the big rubber ring I added to the scope to keep it upright and square with coin. Which I can easily remove to get angles.Light corrections will produce much better pictures plus the software setup to 1280X1024.
Less quality pictures are obtained in seconds verses with scopes, oh well, a lot of setup time.

I just recently purchased microscope and 5MP camera.
http://store.amscope.com/sw-2t13z.html http://store.amscope.com/md900.html

If I had to return one " the amscope would have to go back."
One of the pictures below shows my granddaughter playing with hand held.

Some one please post setup time for pictures with microscopes and include original setup time.

There is photography and there is coin collecting and searching.

James:)