PDA

View Full Version : Wavy steps

Shingpumps
12-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Is there a market for these errors. Are they DD's or die trails?
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii130/Shingpumps/S4021631.jpg

wavysteps
12-26-2007, 05:52 AM
Presently the market is not that great for these varieties mostly because they are not understood. However, that may soon change.

First let me explain the difference between "trails" and "wavy steps". The ONLY difference is the placement; "wavy steps" occurs only on the Lincoln cent, below the columns, affecting the stylobate and stairs. All other lines, even on the Lincoln cent, both on the obverse and reverse dies are "trails"

As to whether or not they are doubled dies. After a three year study, the information that I have gathered points to these anomalies as NOT being doubled dies, however, they are design extensions or continuations of a design element. A doubled die is a duplication or doubling of a design element. It seems to be a minor difference, however, "wavy steps" and "trails" are made differently and it appears, at the end of the hubbing processes.

If you will notice on your picture, there is a line from the base of the left urn; this too is part of the wavy steps and actually a continuation of that design element.

By the way, that is a very nice die. What year is it?

BJ Neff

Shingpumps
12-26-2007, 08:00 AM
It's a 2004.