PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Obv. Trails again.

papascoins
03-17-2012, 09:29 PM
I don't know if this one has been discovered yet. It's the first 2012 Trails that I found.
I thought Jason might want this one.
Thanks for looking.

Fido_Finder
03-17-2012, 09:48 PM
oh man...
I thought those were polish marks...
ergh...

copperlover
03-17-2012, 09:55 PM
I have posted one similar to it some days ago. Looks like there will be quite a few for this year.

Lucien

papascoins
03-17-2012, 10:00 PM
You're right Lucien! And this one looks like some I've found on some 2011p's on 'Liberty' too.

coop
03-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Sorry, I'm just seeing die polishing N-S on the die through LIBERTY.

papascoins
03-17-2012, 10:16 PM
It does look like die polishing, but so do these?:

Fido_Finder
03-17-2012, 10:50 PM

no...
those look like trails...
the polish marks go the other direction on those coins.

coop
03-18-2012, 09:10 AM

The first one has some die polishing, but note the strength of the trails at the ends of the devices. Trails are strongest on the ends of the devices and start there. The second example is also trails. They may have tried to sand them off the die in the same direction, but because they were deeper on the die may have stopped.

papascoins
03-18-2012, 09:48 AM
note the strength of the trails at the ends of the devices. Trails are strongest on the ends of the devices and start there. They may have tried to sand them off the die in the same direction, but because they were deeper on the die may have stopped.

Coop, that is exactly what you could say about the other coin of mine in the first pics.

coop
03-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Coop, that is exactly what you could say about the other coin of mine in the first pics.
Images 3 & 4 show strong parts that don't start on the corners of the devices. Under the devices you can see them. If they polished off the trails that were there they removed so much/abraded them so you can barely see them any long. Like a clash that was polished off. But lets see what others say?

jcuve
03-18-2012, 10:41 AM
The 2012 seems to show polish marks, I say this as the pseudo trails are rather haphazard, and as Coop points out, the trails are not emerging from the corners - the other pictures of trails posted seem to be trails that also have polish marks. I will admit they can be hard to distinguish, but I would rather see BJ, Bob or myself make the determination in hand on not have a large debate about it.

papascoins
03-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Images 3 & 4 show strong parts that don't start on the corners of the devices. Under the devices you can see them. If they polished off the trails that were there they removed so much/abraded them so you can barely see them any long. Like a clash that was polished off. But lets see what others say?

I see that Coop. Thanks!

papascoins
03-18-2012, 11:20 AM
The 2012 seems to show polish marks, I say this as the pseudo trails are rather haphazard, and as Coop points out, the trails are not emerging from the corners - the other pictures of trails posted seem to be trails that also have polish marks. I will admit they can be hard to distinguish, but I would rather see BJ, Bob or myself make the determination in hand on not have a large debate about it.

Jason, I can send you this coin. (PM me please.)
I like the point that Coop makes--"You can see the polish marks 'inside' the devises". But I didn't know they 'had' to come off the corners.
Either way, I think you guys should attribute this type of 'anomaly' officially. (Especially since I sent those others with a lot of the same markings.) I mean, if they can be so hard to distinguish, I think we just need some ground rules.

Thanks all!

mustbebob
03-18-2012, 12:18 PM
But I didn't know they 'had' to come off the corners.
Either way, I think you guys should attribute this type of 'anomaly' officially.

Trails do originate from the 'corners' of devices. There are also many that appear in the same direction that polishing marks appear, while there are others that do not. If you read the theory of trail dies, you would see an explanation of how we believe these to happen.
To start officially attributing these types of anomalies is not realistic at all. You are basically saying that we should start attributing die scratches. Let's be realistic here..Okay?
Once again, no 'ground rules' are needed. Go to traildies.com. Read what it says, see what we list, and go from there.

Roller
03-18-2012, 01:08 PM
I see no trails on this coin.

papascoins
03-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Bob, I DID read the explanation on Traildies.com some time ago, and I understand how they happen. Naturally I refer back to Traildies.com for attribution of a coin like this. I guess I thought I saw trails along with the die scratches, because there are similar ones on the site listed, (some not from corners.) The ones I saw listed are 2011P-1DEO-003, 008, 010, 011. I guess I thought all of the incuse lines on those listed were trails, but they are not. So, I understand that 'trails' only come off the corners, and I did not know this before now.
Thanks.