PDA

View Full Version : Several 1985 D RPM's maybe.

wapa
03-29-2012, 06:34 PM
My son and I found these the other day searching bank rolls. Both are 1985 D's and are thinking these are RPM's. However, I have having a hard time matching any markers for them. I do try to find these things out before asking but the wear on the coins and inexperience comes into to play here.

The first coin looks similar to a 013 but the mm's don't line up nor can I find any markers.

The second coin looks 014 and again the mm's don't match nor do any of the markers. This one is interesting as it has 2 vertical bars inside the mm and the inside one one can see what looks like a the top of a D.

Any hints or ideas to help one ID these things? Thanks

drdave
03-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Your second coin doesn't match up with #14 on an overlay, although it does look like the right mm.

papascoins
03-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Wow! I like that 2nd one wapa. Not so sure about plating on the first one though. Hopefully, someone else will know soon.
I think your 2nd coin IS the 014. Look again. IMO
(Your pic is too rotated.)

drdave
03-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Here is the overlay I get with your second coin and #14 on coppercoins. Doesn't look like a match to me, but I'm only a beginner in this hobby.

coop
03-29-2012, 09:33 PM
It's not 013 either. It may be a new listing. Let's see what Bob says?

wapa
03-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the comments. I know I have wracked my brains over these things. Then today, I opened up a 1961 D roll from Chris. Of the 50 I think there are at least 45 RPM's. I have Id'd ONE in I don't know how many hours. (5 002's cause it was an easy one.) Yeah right, I wanted to take a break from rpm's and bank rolls and look at something different. The best thing is that they are all BU's. :LOL_Hair: At least there are only 81 of them listed on CC. ugh. I wish I had the computer/software smarts to come up I guess I might have to put these away with the 60 rmp's for a real rainy day. with a program and data base with all of known varieties for at least these high volume years so one can put in a pic and it will automatically match the possibilities. Sort of like that finger print stuff they can do on TV.

Hopefully Bob will have an idea about this one.

coop
03-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Going through your roll you might be able to sort the die pairs through markers and that may cut down the number for you. If it is a OBW roll that can be done. But if they are all RPMs, then someone may have any number of different ones in the same roll. Keep in mind that some are too minor to list.

mustbebob
03-30-2012, 03:17 AM
I would have to have a look at this on in hand. I can't positively ID it from the photos alone.

RWBILLER
03-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Nice finds on a hard year

pman860507
03-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Very nice finds. good luck.

wapa
03-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks you guys.

Bob I will PM you about the coin and getting it to you.

Coop, they could be to minor. But looking at the some of the ones listed they are pretty minor too. I like the easy ones, those that show lot of detail and are more obvious. :) When I am searching I try to match the mm's the best I can for alignment, size, position. That seems to be one thing that works for me. In the roll there are some duplicates. I do try to match markers and group them accordingly. These are probably to minor to list. I still think there should be coin identification software like that is used to ID finger prints. Coin Print Identification software. :LOL_Hair:

coop
03-30-2012, 10:24 AM
I save all RPMs. You just don't know who will list them and I won't regret not keeping them. I have over 5 rolls of unlisted 1960-D RPMs. I keep checking every once in a while.

wapa
03-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Oh I don't get rid of anything like these. Being BU's, they are nice to keep anyway. The only thing that goes back are the bank roll culls. Gotta use them while they are still worth a cent before they deteriorate.

drdave
03-30-2012, 10:58 AM
I save all RPMs. You just don't know who will list them and I won't regret not keeping them. I have over 5 rolls of unlisted 1960-D RPMs. I keep checking every once in a while.

This discussion really helps out a lot. I have about 2 rolls of 1960-D also that I can't attribute. This is making sense now. You all should be glad I'm not going to try to have you figure these out:D

coop
03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
This discussion really helps out a lot. I have about 2 rolls of 1960-D also that I can't attribute. This is making sense now. You all should be glad I'm not going to try to have you figure these out:D

I'm glad you do have the overlay process figured out. That helps me a lot. I see more are also learning it as well. Good job guys.

wapa
03-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Hey coop is there a data base of photos of the varieties and errors that can be used by anyone? I can do overlays as well and is sure would help. I think CC's are copyrighted and it makes me nervous to use anything that is copyrighted. Where do you get you original imagines?

coop
03-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Hey coop is there a data base of photos of the varieties and errors that can be used by anyone? I can do overlays as well and is sure would help. I think CC's are copyrighted and it makes me nervous to use anything that is copyrighted. Where do you get you original imagines?

You can copy and use them for personal use. I see them used on eBay and given credit for the images on the auction. So you might ask Bob or Chuck what they would permit. (Better to ask them and know the rules first hand.)

wapa
03-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Very true. Thanks coop. I will ask. It would be for only personal use anyway. Primarily to confirm a find.

mustbebob
03-30-2012, 03:10 PM
We have no problems with using the photos for personal use, so go right ahead. This brings up a point Coop made in a previous post about doing overlays on coins to match mint mark positions. I am aware that there are many photos on coppercoins that don't show a full date and mintmark for these overlays. Over time, I will address that issue with coins that I have, and then ask for copies from others to help complete that project. (Nothing like adding another 4 or 5 years to my schedule). By the way, as far as unattributed rolls of 1960D cents...I have 11 rolls of them! You can see why I love this year so much:tongue:

eaxtellcoin
03-30-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm right there with ya Bob, Six rolls and counting. Myself - I've been dumping the split serifs unless they are strong!

wapa
03-30-2012, 05:48 PM
We have no problems with using the photos for personal use, so go right ahead. This brings up a point Coop made in a previous post about doing overlays on coins to match mint mark positions. I am aware that there are many photos on coppercoins that don't show a full date and mintmark for these overlays. Over time, I will address that issue with coins that I have, and then ask for copies from others to help complete that project. (Nothing like adding another 4 or 5 years to my schedule). By the way, as far as unattributed rolls of 1960D cents...I have 11 rolls of them! You can see why I love this year so much:tongue:

:LOL_Hair: I think a quick look through the rolls of some of these years is good enough. Get the good ones and keep the rest for the kids and grandkids to go through.

I assure you the photos I would use would be for personal use only. Thanks for letting me know. There may be a few as coop and you have mentioned that may not be full dates and mm's, but most of them do I think.

Thanks Bob.

coop
03-30-2012, 05:52 PM
I have a pair of one strong one I should send one to Bob to keep for his attribution files?