PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Double rim/ misaligned dies

flyhi3
04-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Are these worth anything? How does the double rim occur? Thanks!

flyhi3

RWBILLER
04-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Hi
I have sold a couple with a very dramatic mis-alignment for 3 or 4 dollars. Some people do collect them and i only keep the ones that are dramatic.
Thankyou

flyhi3
04-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Hi
I have sold a couple with a very dramatic mis-alignment for 3 or 4 dollars. Some people do collect them and i only keep the ones that are dramatic.
Thankyou

Thanks for the help!

coop
04-04-2012, 05:02 PM
It is called a MAD coin. MisAligned Dies. The hammer is adjustable and need to be centered before the machine going into use. If it is offset, then the coin will look like your until the machine is centered. No extra premium for these untill part of the devices fall of the edge of the coin. The anvil die is always normal on these with the ovbverse out of alignment.

flyhi3
04-04-2012, 05:10 PM
It is called a MAD coin. MisAligned Dies. The hammer is adjustable and need to be centered before the machine going into use. If it is offset, then the coin will look like your until the machine is centered. No extra premium for these untill part of the devices fall of the edge of the coin. The anvil die is always normal on these with th ov=bverse out of alignment.

Thanks, That is a great answer!

jcuve
04-05-2012, 05:54 AM
The appearance of a double rim comes from 1) the proto-rim, created in the upset mill; and 2) the rim gutter on the die creating two rims as the hammer die is misaligned with the collar die and anvil die below. Coop is correct that the design has to be missing or the coin off something like 10% to be really collectible, this example is close. You might get $3 for it on eBay.

flyhi3
04-05-2012, 12:04 PM
The appearance of a double rim comes from 1) the proto-rim, created in the upset mill; and 2) the rim gutter on the die creating two rims as the hammer die is misaligned with the collar die and anvil die below. Coop is correct that the design has to be missing or the coin off something like 10% to be really collectible, this example is close. You might get $3 for it on eBay.

Thanks, that is a great answer too.:)

coop
04-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Something like this is a nice find.
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49/MAD_Value_for_cole317_Cent.jpg