PDA

View Full Version : A Little Help, Please?

willbrooks
04-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Found this is the same roll as the 19551DO-001 this morning. I am definitely seeing extra thickness on the L and the Us and the dots. Coppercoins site did not have photos for this one. Looks like just MD on the Mint mark to me, as far as pairing it up with one of the RPMs. I could use a little help, please. What do you think? Thanks again! Having fun today!

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/wabrooks/centcollection/1942srevthick.jpg
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/wabrooks/centcollection/1942srevthick2.jpg
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/wabrooks/centcollection/1942sdate.jpg

thecentcollector
04-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Certainly looks like a nice class 6 DDR to me... Don't have time to cross-reference this one at the moment :(

pman860507
04-10-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm always unsure about DDR's on Wheats so i just want to know what everyone else thinks.

willbrooks
04-10-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm always unsure about DDR's on Wheats so i just want to know what everyone else thinks.

I know what you mean. I just remember Bob saying a good pick-up point on wheat reverses is the horizontal bar of the L and this has it. Man, wouldn't it be something if I found my first two DDs right in a row. I am going to have to order more coins from this ebay guy. He obviously doesn't search his BU wheats too closely. :squigglemouth:

koinmon
04-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Nice find! I ordered several rolls of BU 1954 S nickels back in the mid 80's and cherried over a dozen D/S in original and reorders.
George

pman860507
04-10-2012, 02:56 PM
What has me pondering is It looks like hub doubling above all the devices. Yet I'm not 100% sure that its not Die Deterioration. But i really dont think it is. So.

willbrooks
04-10-2012, 03:23 PM
What has me pondering is It looks like hub doubling above all the devices. Yet I'm not 100% sure that its not Die Deterioration. But i really dont think it is. So.

Yeah, that weird "shadow" above the devices was common in this roll. I haven't examined many BU wheats before, so I figured it was normal since a lot of them had it. I was thinking Die Deterioration myself, but then again, I don't know my butt from a hole in the ground.

thecentcollector
04-10-2012, 03:33 PM
It's a class 6, trust me. The distortion on the dots gives it away for sure.

coop
04-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Nice find. I don't see any matches on coppercoins. Let's let Bob chime in to see if he would like to take a closer look at it.

The area between the tops of the devices and the rim is where you do find die deteriation. But this coin is a DDR.

Chugly
04-10-2012, 03:36 PM
This is definitely a nice class 6 DDR. It is likely one of the ones not pictured on Coppercoins, but could also be a new discovery. I'm sure if Bob is not too busy, he would be happy to take pictures of it and add it to the site. Well done!

willbrooks
04-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Nice find. I don't see any matches on coppercoins. Let's let Bob chime in to see if he would like to take a closer look at it.

The area between the tops of the devices and the rim is where you do find die deteriation. But this coin is a DDR.

Sweet! Thanks. So, I was right about those "echos" between the rim and devices being deterioration, but also right about the DDR! All of the smarts on this website is starting to rub off on me! :LOL_Hair: Thanks everyone! Maybe Bob would be so kind to give me an attribution number. I would be more than happy to send the coin for photos for the coppercoins website if anyone wants.

mustbebob
04-10-2012, 04:06 PM
It is indeed a class 6 DDR. As soon as I get a bit more time in my attribution schedule, I will be happy to have a look at it and add it to the site if it is a new one.

coop
04-10-2012, 04:12 PM

On circulated examples the devices can flatten and maybe one or three in a row may be wider. But on Willbrooks coin, you see all the devices showing the same doubling. A definite clue that is is a doubled die.

But sometimes you may have only three that show doubling and circulated. Note if all the devices have the same doubling you are looking at. Sometimes damage may show more flattening on some devices and weaker on the next device. So you have to learn to see how your devices doubling is on your coin. When in doubt ask.

jcuve
04-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Nice Class VI DDR find!

wapa
04-10-2012, 08:23 PM
excellent DDR find. Congrats