PDA

View Full Version : 1980 d/d rpm?

flyhi3
04-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Is this an RPM? I had it a long time, and forgot about it. I can take closer pics, if nessecary. Thanks!

flyhi3:)

thecentcollector
04-13-2012, 03:49 PM
From the lighting angle provided, looks like a plating issue. A more dead-on shot would be needed to be sure.

flyhi3
04-13-2012, 03:51 PM
From the lighting angle provided, looks like a plating issue. A more dead-on shot would be needed to be sure.

Plating? it is a 1980. I took this before I was on here. I will get a better pic

thecentcollector
04-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Oh, yeah... brain fart. Could be die deterioration then, based on the way the date looks

mustbebob
04-13-2012, 04:22 PM
I would also say that it is not an RPM. The curve looks larger than the mintmark. Could be a gouge or damage, but an in hand exam would be needed to be sure.

flyhi3
04-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Oh, yeah... brain fart. Could be die deterioration then, based on the way the date looks

Thats ok, we all do that :tinysmile_hmm_t:

flyhi3
04-13-2012, 05:50 PM
I would also say that it is not an RPM. The curve looks larger than the mintmark. Could be a gouge or damage, but an in hand exam would be needed to be sure.

Ok, Thanks!

flyhi3
05-26-2012, 05:43 PM
"I took this before I was on here. I will get a better pic"

Ok, here are better pictures of the MM. Sorry it took so long.

Alex

RWBILLER
05-26-2012, 05:57 PM
1980-d are notorious for looking like rpm's. I don't see any doubling.

flyhi3
05-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Ok, thank you! I will put it on the Nothing but still cool pile!:LOL_Hair:

liveandievarieties
05-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Looks like a keeper!!! Bet you'll have a whole collection of those!!

coppercoins
05-26-2012, 09:43 PM
I would say a definite "no" for it being am RPM based on the images provided. If this were an RPM, it would have to be placed on the die before the die was placed into service. The other details all around the stray mark are LDS to VLDS and show a substantial amount of die wear. The stray mark shows very little die wear indicating it was placed onto the die long after it entered service, thus rendering the theory of it being a re-punched mintmark an impossibility.

This is yet another case of paying attention to much more than the characteristic of one small detail on a coin. Often times it takes examining the entire coin for clues.

seal006
05-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Looks like a keeper!!! Bet you'll have a whole collection of those!!

Someone has been having a bit too much fun this evening.

liveandievarieties
05-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Nope, just speaking the language that seems to have taken prevalence here.

seal006
05-26-2012, 09:58 PM
I feel ya. I got caught up in what I thought was a great find this evening, but after looking at the coin for the 5th or 6th time I realized I was not seeing what I thought I was seeing. Thus, no need to post it.

coppercoins
05-26-2012, 10:03 PM
I prefer to be in the minority where that's concerned...but I definitely understand the issue and the sarcasm. Far too many die crack and minor lamination collectors who seem to completely miss the boat in understanding what the other 99% of collectors actually want.

One of the main things collectors of any subject have to consider is trying to KNOW enough of their subject so they don't leave behind false hope for their heirs. Many times family members think their loved one had spent so much money, time and energy on the collection it must be worth a small fortune. They take it to a dealer to cash in their small fortune, and suddenly the dealer becomes the bad guy for reporting to the family member that their dearly deceased had no clue and collected a bunch of garbage. It happens all the time...unfortunately.

Everyone "having fun" collecting die cracks and other "oddities" are creating just such a false assumption because of the time and energy you put into your "penny searching." If you'd just LEARN what brings value on the back end and start collecting only those coins that are actually valuable, you just might be able to leave a small fortune for the family.

I'll shut up now. Collect what you want to collect. Have fun with it. I'll stick to coins with market value.