PDA

View Full Version : Possible new 1995D DDO.

Chugly
04-17-2012, 11:30 AM
As with many of us that are obsessed with Lincoln cents, I have become known as that "Penny Guy" to many people that know me. Of course this label is usually accompanied with a few chuckles and some obvious questions like "What do you do with all of those pennies?" etc... Well, after being asked this in one of my classes and briefly explaining what I do with them, I had a student bring me in a small sack with $1.41 in cents that had been sitting in a desk in his office. This was offered as payment for me helping him on a big project earlier. I happily took them and sorted them. Nothing special, 32 coppers, 110 zinc's and no wheats.

I had forgotten all about these until I emptied out my back pack last night and found a small sack of zinc's that had been stuck in the bottom for months. Rather than leave these for later to search, I figured I could quickly go through these and try to stay organized. Lo and behold, about 10 coins in, out popped this beauty! At first, I was like "Cool, another 1995D-1DO-006" which I have been finding a few of lately. But when I looked at it closer and compared it to the -006 examples I have, things didn't quite match up.

There is obvious doubling on the mint mark and a slight separation line on the inner curve of the 5 in the Date, but no notches on the date as with the -006. Also, there are nice split serf's on the bottoms of the letters in Liberty. I spent quite a bit of time comparing this coin to the other ones listed on Coppercoins and am pretty convinced that this is an unlisted one. I have jumped the gun on this several times before, and rather than do that again, I come to you, my amazing LCR members for your opinions:). Also, does anyone know what happened to the listing for the 1995D-1DO-001 on Coppercoins? The numbering just starts with DDO#2 and goes from there. Was this a "wavy steps" listing that was deleted or was there just no good example to photo for the DDO#1?

This is just another reminder that you never know where these things will turn up. I have searched 544,143 cents since I started keeping detailed records back in July of 2010 and out of that, have only found 3 1995-D DDO's of any kind. Now, I find another one in $1.41:LOL_Hair: I think its only fitting that I buy a certain student of mine a free lunch!

pman860507
04-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Very interesting. I really like this DDO. Good luck to you. I hope its something new.

liveandievarieties
04-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Clearly an RPM Chugly... Learn your stuff.

Hahahaha, honestly, all I can say is WOW. Pretty neat story, but even more impressive coin! It's been incredible watching your discoveries. I think now, instead of asking questions, you should learn anything that you don't already know and begin attributing professionally. You're dead-on and meticulous in what you do John, I've always been quite impressed. Now shake that humble "I don't know much" attitude and give yourself credit for what you actually have- an impressive eye and knowledge set.

Very nice, looking forward to seeing what comes of this one!

Chugly
04-17-2012, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=liveandievarieties;153254]Clearly an RPM Chugly... Learn your stuff.

Yes, definitely an RPM. I see it so clearly now:LOL_Hair:

For those that don't get the joke, RPM's are not possible after 1989 because the mint marks stopped being hand punched and were instead hubbed on to the master dies starting in 1990.

Seriously, though those compliments mean a lot coming from you Chris. I seem to be out of "Thanks," but I could never thank you enough for all that you have helped me with anyway. I can say I find myself in a very strange position where a new career path is literally screaming at me from many angles almost every day. I love this stuff so much and never seem to tire of it! My regular job, while pretty awesome, pales in comparison to my love of this hobby. They say you will never be sorry for choosing a career that you love, but for now, I still have a lot to learn. I am actively learning as fast as I can, however:).

liveandievarieties
04-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Actually, a thought crossed my mind- possibly flying you with me to a larger show like Long Beach and putting your cherrypicking skills to work...

Now answer your phone!!

RWBILLER
04-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Very nice find! Wow! Chris - hire him a a birddog man! Give him my list - only trouble everything will come back as a varaity!

pman860507
04-17-2012, 01:59 PM
For those that don't get the joke, RPM's are not possible after 1989 because the mint marks stopped being hand punched and were instead hubbed on to the master dies starting in 1990.

This is very important to know. I know when i first learned that after 1989 there would be no more RPM I stopped looking at them. Until I later realized they would be considered a DDO.

This coin is a very good example of that.

Again Very nice find.

Maineman750
04-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Cool find John..as for the missing listing...why not just PM Chuck or Bob ?

jcuve
04-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Very nice one...

mustbebob
04-17-2012, 04:35 PM
I will have to fix the coppercoins site as far as DDO-001 goes. What we have listed as DDO-006, is actually supposed to be the DDO-001 (CONECA die-001, Wexler die-001).

Later on this evening, I will change it. So to those of you who have attributed a coin to coppercoins 1DO-006, the correct number is 1DO-001. Sorry folks.

Chugly
04-17-2012, 04:46 PM
I will have to fix the coppercoins site as far as DDO-001 goes. What we have listed as DDO-006, is actually supposed to be the DDO-001 (CONECA die-001, Wexler die-001).

Later on this evening, I will change it. So to those of you who have attributed a coin to coppercoins 1DO-006, the correct number is 1DO-001. Sorry folks.

Please don't apologize! Now my two -006's become #1's? Yippee! DDO#1 always sounds so much sweeter:). Can this week get any better?

mustbebob
04-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Glad you are happy! I have made the change, and the site should be up to date. If any of you are still showing a 1995D-1DO-006, then you need to refresh your page. What made that all the worse is that I added the 1DO-006, knowing that it was 1DO-001, and then ran out of eggnog. Can this week get any worse:sign10:

Chugly
04-17-2012, 05:11 PM
I just checked the site and everything looks great from here. Thanks for all that you do Bob! If I knew anything about good egg nog, I would certainly send you some. I guess this is one of those area's I really need to research:LOL_Hair:

Maineman750
04-17-2012, 05:36 PM
If I knew anything about good egg nog, I would certainly send you some.

All you need to know is add more rum ..the rest is just a disguise...just ask Bob :LOL_Hair:

john_doe
04-22-2012, 05:19 PM
this looks EXACTLY like the 1995 d ddo I found. I know because of the doubling on the chin.

what is an rpm?

Bri
04-22-2012, 05:22 PM
this looks EXACTLY like the 1995 d ddo I found. I know because of the doubling on the chin.

what is an rpm?

Repunched Mint Mark

john_doe
04-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Repunched Mint Mark

edit: I see it was a joke. hah

john_doe
04-22-2012, 05:24 PM
I think my camera might pick up the doubling on the chin under a loupe.

Bri
04-22-2012, 05:45 PM
are these fairly common?

I don't believe they are "common" because if they were, there wouldn't be any value to them...not to mention there are reference books written about the anomoly which proves they have collectible value.

john_doe
04-22-2012, 06:23 PM
so this is the type 1 95d ddo correct? sorry im kind of a noob to this end of the game.

jcuve
04-22-2012, 06:56 PM
so this is the type 1 95d ddo correct? sorry im kind of a noob to this end of the game.

This is 1995-D DDO-001 - a nice DDO but not the big one listed in the CPG.