PDA

View Full Version : 1969s DDO

Voyager17
04-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Hello Friends:), not long ago I had mentioned I found a 1969 s with Doubling showing on the Ear and a hole in the Chin.Well here it is for your viewing...Whats your thoughts:angel: on this Treasure?

God Bless,
Beck,
Lincoln Penny Treasure Hunter

PS:There is some Doubling on the Eyelids,too.

liveandievarieties
04-20-2012, 10:17 AM
That's an amazing doubled die Beck!

cimperialis
04-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Nice photos, Mirza. Could be a little sharper, but this is a great improvement over no photos. I can see the doubling on the 1969, and it is machine doubling (MD). This sort of doubling is quite common, and commands to premium. A true 1969s DDO would be worth thousands, as there are only a few known. Unfortunately, your coin is not one of those. However, you can now study this coin and know what MD looks like. Congrats on the new camera!

EDIT: By the way, look at how there is doubling on the S and on the 1969. You should never see doubling on both the S and 1969 because they were placed on the die at separate times. This is a key sign that the doubling is MD.

RWBILLER
04-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Chris is right it is a amazing 1960-s with some machine doubling. The other day Chris was selling a 1/2 roll of these!
How much you get Chris? :tinysmile_hmm_t:

pman860507
04-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Chris is right it is a amazing 1960-s with some machine doubling. The other day Chris was selling a 1/2 roll of these!
How much you get Chris? :tinysmile_hmm_t:

25 cent?:LOL_Hair:

roy
04-20-2012, 01:29 PM
very good point

jcuve
04-20-2012, 04:20 PM
I will give one more post that it is MD. Your pics are great and clear, but no doubt what it is.

Let me go further, this is classic machine doubling and hopefully can be a guide to you and anyone else what to look for. I have something similar below.

http://errorvariety.com/OFD/images/MD05.jpg

Chugly
04-20-2012, 05:13 PM
The saddest thing about all of this is that these machine doubled coins are routinely going for $10-25 a piece on the bay. I saw a 70-s example earlier this week that had 11 bids and was up to $13 with at least 24hrs to go! All the while, legitimate (while less visually obvious) varieties go for pennies on the dollar or are passed over completely. It is really tempting to list my overflowing box of MD examples and laugh all the way to the bank. Fortunately, I just don't have it in me.

wapa
04-20-2012, 09:29 PM
The saddest thing about all of this is that these machine doubled coins are routinely going for $10-25 a piece on the bay. I saw a 70-s example earlier this week that had 11 bids and was up to $13 with at least 24hrs to go! All the while, legitimate (while less visually obvious) varieties go for pennies on the dollar or are passed over completely. It is really tempting to list my overflowing box of MD examples and laugh all the way to the bank. Fortunately, I just don't have it in me.

heck I just wish I knew the good coins that are going for pennies on the dollar. :~

jallengomez
04-20-2012, 09:34 PM

I know what you mean. I sell on Ebay, and I often have legitimate varieties close with no bids when the initial starting price was .99 cents. I think I'm going to start selling MD.

Voyager17
04-21-2012, 02:09 AM
Friends,I am working towards learning more...everyday.Like many of you who were perhaps teens when you learned about these coins.I am only a little over a year into it.I am learning also to use the camera correctly.Perhaps I should use the PC mode to take the pic reather then 14mega-pixel rate? God Bless!

RWBILLER
04-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Pictures are ok. Re-setting mode on camera won't change the coin.