PDA

View Full Version : 56d/s 1om-002...d/d/s

ray_parkhurst
04-23-2012, 06:57 AM
I've been looking at this variety and it clearly has a secondary D to the West in addition to the controversial D or S to the East. Why isn't this one listed as either D/D/D (RPM#12 lists only D/D East) or D/D/S (Coppercoins lists only D/S East)? Even with controversy over what's happening to the East, shouldn't what's happening to the West be acknowledged, even though it is relatively minor? I thought I remembered this one listed as D/D/S before but when I double-checked today it was not. Here's the picture I took today:

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad273/rparkhurst/New-Out207_01.jpg

liveandievarieties
04-23-2012, 08:24 AM
To answer your question Ray- personalities.

Our hobby has some brilliant minds, no doubt. But everyone is going to have their own perspective and opinion. Sometimes we see what we want to see. Other times it's difficult to see the tree through the forrest. There always has been and always will be contention among experts on certain varieties.

pennies4pennies
04-23-2012, 08:53 AM
I agree with Chris. I must say for me I don't believe in the S to the east. I think just die break/ crack. It's looks like a rotated D/D in your pic to me.
Frank

mustbebob
04-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Ray, You bring up a very valid point, and believe it or not, I have thought about the very same thing. The problem comes from what is actually visible on certain grades and die states of this variety. Your coin is a perfect example of what I mean. The split in the lower serif is clearly visible, but the separation line that runs up the vertical bar is not part of the RPM. On circulated examples that the split can still be seen, the split and separation line are lower. I will have to pull my copies and try to take some pics to further illustrate what I mean. However, it is a valid point, and one that needs to be addressed again once we can make a proper determination on it.

jcuve
04-23-2012, 08:19 PM
This is another coin I did some work on, yet didn't finish it. I will have to fish around and see if the photos are on my HD...