PDA

View Full Version : Surface Detail Compo

ray_parkhurst
04-24-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm setting up my lighting and exposure settings to reduce hotspotting and to better show surface details for full-coin variety shots. It's always amazing to me how relatively small changes in lighting and exposure settings can make such big differences in the final image! Here is the last image of the 1956-D-1OM-002 I published on the Variety Examples sub-forum:

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad273/rparkhurst/IMG_0320_01.jpg

And here is the same coin with lighting to better emphasize surface details:

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad273/rparkhurst/IMG_0339_04.jpg

Would like to hear opinions on these with emphasis on showing die markers and details on full-coin variety images.

I'm going to try some other lighting angles as well to give a more oblique presentation and perhaps show more detail...Ray

jallengomez
04-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Nice capture. That shows plenty of surface detail, and the markers are clearly visible.

coop
04-24-2012, 11:00 AM
The upper one has less glare on the die scratches and tops of the devices. I like this better than the cloudy look on the lower one. But that maybe just my preference.

jallengomez
04-24-2012, 11:30 AM
I think the lower one has less glare, and the hi-lights aren't blown out. Did you use different lights altogether for that one Ray, or just more diffusion?

coop
04-24-2012, 11:45 AM
The lower one I didn't like the subdued look with the glare missing.

ray_parkhurst
04-24-2012, 08:00 PM
I think the lower one has less glare, and the hi-lights aren't blown out. Did you use different lights altogether for that one Ray, or just more diffusion?

Used the same two Jansjo LED's, with the same diffusers. The 2nd photo has the lights slightly higher and tilted so the majority of the lighting is coming from the side of the diffuser, not the center where it is brighter. Also reduced the Contrast setting in the camera, and increased the Auto Lighting Optimizer. Just a few small changes....Ray