PDA

View Full Version : 1938-d DDR/DDO

pman860507
05-11-2012, 09:13 PM
So i think i got pretty lucky with this coin. I actually recently have not had the time to look though any coins. I pulled about 10 coins to look at tonight. I only got though one. which was this one. I'm 100% sure of this attribution. My guess is that its EMDS. It has a few less die markers then the one on CC.

Just wanted to share i hope to get a few pics up if time allows it.

update

Finally got a few minutes to snap a shot before i go to work.

Little back story. I actually got this coin from a forum member marked as MS61 spotting for $1. Wont say who just in case they don't want it known. Since it said that i actually didn't even look at just left it in the holder.

Last night i decided to see how bad the spotting was so i took my loupe out and look at the obverse then the reverse. I didn't even check the eye for doubling, but as soon as i looked at the reverse i remember what bob once said to me. "When you see a class VI doubling on the EPU you will know." I though to my self well once again bob was 100% correct. it just jumped out at me.

Anyways this was a pretty exciting find for me since it was my first DDO/DDR combo coin.

mustbebob
05-12-2012, 04:23 AM
Have any photos of it?

Maineman750
05-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Cool find Casey ! I need to get a permanent picture taking booth setup as well...always a PIA so I don't post pics unless it's major or convenient:tinysmile_twink_t:

pman860507
05-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Pictures added. i know the coins not in the best shape. i hope i got this one right.

Also light of pics are not the best sorry have not taken a pic in a while.

simonm
05-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Very nice. Love the class VI reverse.

RWBILLER
05-12-2012, 01:48 PM
That a way Casey - real nice find!

pman860507
05-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks good to hear that I got it right. I have been working hard on my coin education since I can't search glad its paying off. Would this coin get MS detail on it? Not that I would send it in. Maybe it it was worth some cash. :D

Rubenthelincolnguy
05-12-2012, 10:08 PM
that's a great coin!!! I love DDR's it was my first real DD I ever found, presicely this same one a 1938 but it was very worn... VG, maybe F, and even tough its poor grade I sold it for 6.00 dollars on eBay. My first error/defective was a 1926 MDD that I tought it was a DDO, doubled lettering on TRUST very bold, din;t know about the difference between doubled dies and machine doubling, so that's why I still like those MDD, but the real first DD was the 1938. I can't tell if yours has extra thickness on the wheat ears & stalks too, greatcoin!!! Congratulations!

pman860507
05-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Yeah Rubenthelincolnguy (http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/member.php?u=1495) I have not idea how to tell if the wheat stocks have extra thickness. Maybe i can figure it out on this coin. If anyone can explain what i will see i would love to hear it thanks

coop
05-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Simple, take an image of a regular coin wheat stock and compare it to the one you want to know.
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49/NORMAL-DOUBLED_WHEAT_REVERSE_LINES.jpg

pman860507
05-12-2012, 11:22 PM
I see coop this coin defiantly has it. I figured you would see a split in the wheat stocks. I think the best way to see this is the tips.

Thanks for the photos/lesson.