PDA

View Full Version : Safest way to open proof set casing

fugnchill
12-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi All,

I figured I would ask for advice before I go cracking open a proof set and possibly damaging the coins. Of course I'll be wearing my gloves but any hints as to how to get the darn thing open without destroying the casing or coins? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Lestrrr

Brad
12-05-2008, 04:02 PM
I probably don't have the best advice. I smash the edges with a hammer.

1sgret
12-06-2008, 06:52 AM
:xd: I use these to break-out coins from slabs and also for proof sets. These are craftsman cutters #45326. They do a great job and I have never had any damage to a coin.

I used to do it Brads way until I messed up.:LOL_Hair:

kloccwork419
12-06-2008, 07:09 AM
If you can get a butter knife in the crack ..You can slide it all the way around the edge and it will pop open SAFELY....lolol..Brad and Joe...lol.

It will just break the seal they have on it..They arent sealed that great like it would be in a slab so its alot easier

1sgret
12-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Kinda hard to open a slab with a butter knife. (LOL)

kloccwork419
12-06-2008, 07:45 AM
Yea...lol..I never tried to open a slab but it sure looks like you cant get in em!!!!...Sealed really nice. Proof set are the opposite. I think they just glue theirs..lolol

Brad
12-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Slabs are tough to open. I hammer the part with the label...then once that is destroyed I pry the slab apart with my hands. I've only done this 4 or 5 times. Proof sets are much easier. I just twist them back and forth until the seal cracks. Again, my way is probably not the best.

kloccwork419
12-06-2008, 08:46 AM
That would work too..The seals on them arent hard to break at all!!

1sgret
12-06-2008, 08:51 AM
With the cutters for slabs you just put the jaws over the edge on the thin part of the slab and squeeze. It breaks it so you can pull it apart eaisly. I usually open them on the sides. I buy alot of error coins in slabs cheap and crack them out and resubmit them for better grades.

kloccwork419
12-06-2008, 09:23 AM
If that dont work just run it over with your car!!!..lol

Brad
12-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Slabs are very tough to get into. I wonder how the grading companies handle crossovers?

1sgret
12-06-2008, 10:26 AM
I don't know on that one. I'm sure they have a machine that can break the seals using minimal heat to open them. I bet they won't tell you how they do it.

JeanK
12-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Hey youse guys, quit picking on Lestrrr!

The best way I have found to open a modern mint set case is to lay the case face down on a solid surface with the reverse of the coins in proper orientation to you.
Take nice sharp 1/4 " wood chisel and gently insert it into the bottom right hand corner of the case in the groove. After many grand openings of mint cases I find this particular corner to be the easiest to breach. Then very gently pry open the corner with a twisting motion, and continue around the case until it all comes loose.
Chances are fairly good you will not harm the case or the coins.

As for tpg plastic cases, it takes a slightly more brutal approach. I set the case on the long edge and hit the opposite edge very soundly with a hammer, sometimes more than once. This will usually find me a weak spot that I can use to pry it open like I do the plastic mint cases.

However, with that all said, I cannot guarantee you will have the same success in not hurting the coins. It all is in the degree in which you attack the problem as to whether or not you will succeed.

JeanK

Brad
12-06-2008, 02:07 PM
I wasn't joking. I do use a hammer.

kloccwork419
12-06-2008, 02:36 PM
I even used my finger nail a few times believe it or not!!...Its not hard at all to open them. They arent sealed well at all!!