PDA

View Full Version : Thinking this might be a doubled die

JeanK
05-25-2012, 01:38 PM
I have checked the sites that I was able to find and did not see another coin like this for comparison.
Maybe it is a doubled die on the date, maybe it is machine doubling, but either way it would be nice to find out.
The 0 of 1970 has what appears to be doubling on the inside and outside edges of the left and right side of the number.
The two similar pictures are of slightly different angles in which I was attempting to capture the anomalies.

Thanx Bunches for checking,
Jean

jcuve
05-25-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure Jean, but I am inclined to say MD. There are a lot of doubled dies from 1970, so you could always have Bob take a look in person at some point.

willbrooks
05-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Yeah, that is tough to tell for sure from the photos. In the last photo the mintmark seems to show the same kind of doubling and in the same direction as the 0, which would make it more likely to be MD. Perhaps it is just the lighting though.

coppercoins
05-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Looks like machine doubling from here.

JeanK
05-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Bummer... can't fault a gal for trying though. Except for the bottom of the N in IN, none of the other letters are doubled, or machine doubled. Nonetheless, I am going to keep going until I find another good one to post.
Jean