PDA

View Full Version : Does this appear to be a 1956 D RPM#003 / WRPM-002?

minidisc0
12-11-2008, 07:19 PM
D/D NORTH
AKA:
CONECA: RPM#003
Crawford: CRPM-002
Wexler: WRPM-002
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/2/3/0/3/3/webimg/183878507_o.jpg

trails
12-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Yes it does. Soak that thing in some acetone.

BJ Neff

minidisc0
12-11-2008, 07:53 PM
To clean it? Wouldn't that decrease the value?

JeanK
12-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Whoa! I can barely see that rpm.
Good eye minidisc0!
If anything, not conserving (proper cleaning) the coin would likely cause the coin's early demise from all the dirt and corrosion.
JeanK

kloccwork419
12-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Try VERDI-GONE..I bought some and it works GREAT!!!....You can use goo gone on that too
Its a great find..

1sgret
12-12-2008, 03:54 AM
Nice find!

trails
12-12-2008, 06:02 AM
An acetone treatment is not cleaning. There comes a time when you must look at a coin and figure out which is better; one with corrosion that will continue to harm the surface and eventually the whole coin or one that has had that corrosion removed.

I look at cleaning in this light; if "cleaning' is preformed on a coin to enhance the value in such away as to deceive others of its true condition, then it is wrong. If "cleaning" is applied to a coin to preserve the underlying condition, then it may be the correct option.

Example; you have an AU-50 Lincoln cent that has spot corrosion and grim embedded in some of the design elements. If removal of those imperfections will not raise the grade of the coin, then it should be done.

Now take the same coin in that AU-50 condition and you try to raise the grade to a MS-62 by "cleaning" it. That is where it is wrong.

Others may feel different about this approach, however, I feel that a good coin such as yours, deserves to be "cleaned" to preserve it appearance.

BJ Neff

1sgret
12-12-2008, 06:20 AM
I totally agree with BJ.

I have done this for years, however I have never sold a coin that I have found in circulation, so they are still in my collection.

Alot of them went in for grading and not one showed cleaning or altering. Just the gunk/grit/grime was removed to preserve the surface of the coin.

To each his own decision as to what you opt to do. Still a very nice RPM.

kloccwork419
12-12-2008, 07:22 AM
ORDER VERDI-GONE!!!!. IT works great on this type of corrosion..PLEASE TRUST me..here is a link with a few results. It will work by removing the corrosion and prserving the patina!!!!!!
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33105

I ordered it and it works great!!!

mustbebob
12-12-2008, 02:15 PM
I think 'patina' is not the correct wording for what we want to do. A patina is normally the green film or coating that forms over copper with age and environmental conditions.
What we want to do is preserve the 'color' of the coin. I know it's a technicality, but I think the correct terminology is in order here.

kloccwork419
12-12-2008, 02:28 PM
When used as directed, it will generally maintain the original oxidized/organic patina of aged copper while removing the green/blue cupric compound (acetate, sulfate, carbonate) surface verdigris.

CCC
12-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Nice find!

minidisc0
12-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the recommendations and advice. The coin isn't really in that bad of shape but at this close up it looks pretty nasty.

What is the best way to clean a coin with acetone? I've never heard of this before so i'd like to try on a test coin before doing on this RPM.

CCC
12-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Go to Walmart and buy Goo Gone. Use a used toothbrush spray it on and gingerly bathe the coin using light strokes. I hope this helps.

Brad
12-12-2008, 06:01 PM
They sell acetone at a hardware store. I would let it soak for about a minute, then check it. You can repeat the process as much as you want. Acetone is a natural solvent and will not harm metal. I would not scrub or brush it.

kloccwork419
12-12-2008, 06:01 PM
NOOOOOO..Never scrub your coin!!!! Especially with a toothbrush!!!.Whatever you soak it in ,just rinse with water andpat it dry.

1sgret
12-13-2008, 04:09 AM
I recommend: "Do not use a toothbrush."
I will almost guarantee that it leaves scratches on the coin when you put it under a microscope. You may/may not see them with a loupe but they are there.

laytonre
12-13-2008, 04:42 AM
goo gone and acetone both at wal mart paint department...note also if you rub/brush you leave marks if it goes to gradeing they make it cleaned no matter how slight...be very gentle with anything that you have cleaned and you want to keep and might grade...richard

Wheat Cents
12-13-2008, 05:49 AM
I agree w BJ...

There comes a time when you must look at a coin and figure out which is better; one with corrosion that will continue to harm the surface and eventually the whole coin or one that has had that corrosion removed.

For this particular coin there is very little $$ value in it either way.

The greatest value is : You found it!

I'd leave that one alone to reimind you of the event. There are a lot more like it out there . Some in worse shape and LOTS in better condition.

Yeah.. I would not mess with it.

RWBILLER
12-13-2008, 07:42 AM
TRy some goo gone on another trial piece - it works.
Roger