PDA

View Full Version : My Rookie Year in Review

MrHaz78
06-28-2012, 08:56 AM
As my one year mark in this hobby approaches next week, I thought I'd reflect back on my first year ever as a searcher/collector/addicted person of this amazing past time we enjoy. I began searching some Mason Jars of cents I had collected from metal detecting and pocket change to attempt to put together some Harris Cent folders for our Grandson Aaron last July. Wow, if I had only known then the path that simple objective would take me down in one short year!! :sign10:

As I got deeper into all the aspects of this hobby I realized I was a babe in the woods and needed to learn a great deal more to really grasp what I was looking at in front of me. I ordered three or four reference books, and also did some searching online to locate some sites that were frequented by "people in the know".Finding LCR was for sure my best discovery in the last 12 months. I would still be "doggie paddling" without the input, guidence, advise, and knowledge from countless fellow members here. To say I'm thankfull just doesn't begin to cover how I feel about this place. I am truly indebted to each and every member who has replied to one of my posts, or to another member's that I gained insight from. There really is no other source for Lincoln Cents information like LCR!!

To say I had beginners luck last July would be a very big understatement. When I was told by fellow members here I had indeed found a 1988D RDV-006 after I posted it I was astounded. I was then carefully led down the paths of attribution, grading and slabbing. To make my first big find even cooler was the fact it was a Discovery Piece as well!! What are the odds??

As my rookie year progessed I was able to find numerous RPMs, some DDOs, DDRs, and even a couple more minor Discovery Pieces. As I started averaging 5,000 to 7,500 searched cents a week the finds began to accumulate nicely. My Grandson's folders have filled up nicely, and I have been able to upgarde many spots with much nicer coins on almost a weekly basis. What began so innocently really turned into an obsession of sorts!

I know I will never be an expert by any means on Lincoln Cents, but like to think I am slowly grasping more and more of the finer points of all of this. There are still times I post something that I could have found the answer for beforehand, but the excitement of finding something outweighed the research aspect. (yep, still a rookie on some points :sign10:)

To sum up. Thank you to one and all for making this past year such an enjoyable one for me. I have learned so much, and continue to do so on a daily basis. I look forward to many more years cracking open rolls and cutting open my $50 bags to search for the next treasure that passes under my loop! Cheers to everyone, and good luck in your hunt!!

Bill

liveandievarieties
06-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Wow Bill- you've come so far that I find it hard to believe it's only been a year. I certainly don't consider you a rookie. It's always wonderful to see a member do things the right way by studying, learning and growing. Congratulations, it's been fantastic having you around!

JeanK
06-28-2012, 10:27 AM
We are very glad you joined us, and we know you will continue to share, learn and teach us all something new! And we hope you and Aaron will keep growing your collections together forever!
Jean

simonm
06-28-2012, 10:52 AM
I am glad to have you at the forum, you are very insightful with your posts and always have a fun find to share!

wapa
06-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Congrats Mrhaz on the year of collecting and sharing with us on LCR. Great story. I am looking forward to seeing your next year on here. Keep up with the rugby too.

RWBILLER
06-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Congrats! It certainly gets addictive!

Rollem
06-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Dang Bill a year in and you are doing great. Now if everyone can just catch Rollem up that would be a miracle.

You are a treasure Bill, just keep it up. And great story.

James

mustbebob
06-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Wow...Time does fly by. Congrats on your 1 year anniversary on LCR.

twoyankees
06-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Sure is good having you here Bill. Looking forward to more of your posts, and hearing about all the cool stuff you find. Wonder what your " Year 2 " review will say. You just never know. Congrats on your First year!!!!!:tinysmile_classes_t Tom

koinmon
06-29-2012, 01:38 AM
Congratulations Bill it's been a wonderful year here at LCR; growth, new friends and old. I look forward to seeing more of your finds.
George

pman860507
06-29-2012, 07:59 AM
I sure know i have enjoyed your presence. Keep moving forward. I know you have already passed me =).

willbrooks
06-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Bill,
Thank you for everything. I have learned much from you in my short time here. Your fervor, willingness to share, knowledge, kindness and generosity are an inspiration. I owe you much.
Will