PDA

View Full Version : Would love to see!!

engine823
07-11-2012, 11:54 AM
I would love to see a step by step guide posted here in the Lincoln Cent Beginner Area on how to do a coin overlay!!! I believe that would be super helpful not only to me but other LCR members!

I know myself at least every few days I find myself wanting to know how to do this to confirm a coins attribution but have no idea were to start. Would someone here take some time to help us that are not super computer savy??

Thanks
Shannon :)

Maineman750
07-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Good idea Shannon....often wondered myself. I'll bet you could look it up on Google..but it would be more fun to hear from our members:tinysmile_hmm_t:

stonecad
07-11-2012, 11:58 AM
visit this previous thread and download the program paint.net, it has the ability to do overlays...

http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22610

there are self help tutorials provided along with it..

also this program is free... the image i posted to your previous thread was created using it...

SuddenAdoration
07-11-2012, 11:59 AM
I thought Coop posted one a while back...

engine823
07-11-2012, 12:00 PM
I thought Coop posted one a while back...

It is possible he did and I just didn't see it! Thanks :tinysmile_hmm_t:

thecentcollector
07-11-2012, 12:04 PM
I could do a video on this if needed I guess. It's not really hard, given you have the proper tools. All you need is the two images you're comparing, and a simple layering program. Import the image you are questioning into a layer over top of the reference photo. Change the dimensions as needed to line up the markers, elements, etc. Then simply change the transparency on the upper layer to fade in and out to view the differences (if any).

That's the simple way... to do more intuitive overlays, I use Photoshop and start masking, etc. Those kind of overlays take a bit, given the fact that you have to slice out individual elements.

willbrooks
07-11-2012, 12:08 PM
I could do a video on this if needed I guess.

Your going to use a lip-synching double, right?

thecentcollector
07-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Your going to use a lip-synching double, right?

What? My voice is too deep and ***y for video? :LOL_Hair:

willbrooks
07-11-2012, 12:11 PM

No! Just the opposite. The double would be lip-synching to your voice! I was worried about your face. :)

thecentcollector
07-11-2012, 12:12 PM
No! Just the opposite. The double would be lip-synching to your voice! I was worried about your face. :)

Sometimes I worry about my face too

SuddenAdoration
07-11-2012, 12:15 PM
It is possible he did and I just didn't see it! Thanks :tinysmile_hmm_t:

Actually I just searched for it, and I can't find it... things get lost in the shuffle :)

His tutorial is really good.

willbrooks
07-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Sometimes I worry about my face too

You aren't scratching up my coins right now, are you?

thecentcollector
07-11-2012, 12:16 PM
You aren't scratching up my coins right now, are you?

No, I don't use rags :crossedlips:

willbrooks
07-11-2012, 12:23 PM
When you called the other day, for the first 5 minutes I thought it was Lou Rawls calling me from the grave.

If you do the video, please give me a few bars of "You'll never find" to start it off.

thecentcollector
07-11-2012, 12:26 PM
When you called the other day, for the first 5 minutes I thought it was Lou Rawls calling me from the grave.

If you do the video, please give me a few bars of "You'll never find" to start it off.

"You'll never find, for as long as you live... Someone to love you..."

Okay, that's enough ;)

Cdiddle
07-11-2012, 01:47 PM
And what was the topic of this thread??

willbrooks
07-11-2012, 01:54 PM
It was a request for someone to make a tutorial on how to do an overlay. Until someone actually does it, what else did you need from the thread? Perhaps 20 responses from people who don't know how to use the thanks button saying, "great idea" is more to your liking?

pman860507
07-11-2012, 01:59 PM
great idea.......................

mustbebob
07-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Something else to consider is that there are different programs that allow you to do overlays, and they may be slightly different. Andrews statement is basically what they will all do, and in a nut shell, he is absolutely correct.

jcuve
07-13-2012, 09:13 PM
An overlay is like taking a photo on a transparency and placing it over another photo to make a new image. Like Andrew states, the two have to be correctly sized. The big difference with a digital program is that the transparency is adjustable, both globally and locally if needed. If you know what you are doing, you can, as if using scissors, cut out elements to make some aspect stand out in a digital program. Such advanced selection making takes practice and either one on one instruction or maybe a class. Some of those video demos (like Lynda.com) also can work, but you lose the ability to ask question when you get stuck. I spent hours upon hours cutting up and stitching images before I ever shot a coin. I first worked with Photoshop in 1995.

Another point is contrast. If your making an overlay for let's say an OMM. Your best off having the photo of the MM somehow different than the coin below. Contrast eases the complexity of generating an overlay. Crawford use to make some of the best overlays...