PDA

View Full Version : [Example] A Real Nice Struck Thru Obverse

1sgret
12-20-2008, 04:12 AM
I found this in a bank roll late last night. I sent pictures of the coin to Mike Diamond who came up with 3 possibilities:

1. Pre-strike damage to the planchet or blank, which tore through the copper plating.

2. A thin strip on the planchet that escaped plating.

3. A thin, struck-in piece of zinc that was sheared of another coin.

Mike said he would rank #1 as most likely, and could tease apart the possibilities under a microscope. (Remember Mike has not seen this in hand yet).

I'm mailing it out today for his evaluation.

I am going with option #3. So I will keep all on the Forum updated. Give me your opinions on which one it is.

fugnchill
12-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Hi Joe,

How does the reverse look? I was reading sometime back about how the mint connects two sheets of copper (brain fart, forgot the terminology)and sometimes coins get stamped with the zinc line showing. I haven't seen one before so I don't know if it shows as a straight line or not. Just wondering.

Lestrrr

1sgret
12-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi Joe,

How does the reverse look? I was reading sometime back about how the mint connects two sheets of copper (brain fart, forgot the terminology)and sometimes coins get stamped with the zinc line showing. I haven't seen one before so I don't know if it shows as a straight line or not. Just wondering.

Lestrrr

Hi Lestrrr: Reverse is normal and no the line is not straight.
The copper is put on over a zinc planchet.

RWBILLER
12-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Joe:
That is something I never saw. What might have cause that a wire or something?
Thanks
Roger

JeanK
12-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Joe, is the curvy line incised instead of above the surface of the coin?
Oh, and is that a doubled die?
Right now I am thinking it is #3... you know, with all my 'expertise' and such.... ha.
Jean

mustbebob
12-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Very interesting anomaly there, Kinda interested in what Mike says after he has a look at it.

1sgret
12-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Joe, is the curvy line incised instead of above the surface of the coin?
Oh, and is that a doubled die?
Right now I am thinking it is #3... you know, with all my 'expertise' and such.... ha.
Jean

No it is not incused. It is level with the fields and designs. No it is not a DDO.

1sgret
12-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Very interesting anomaly there, Kinda interested in what Mike says after he has a look at it.

I had the same feelings about it. I will post Mike's findings upon return of the coin. I mailed it out today, so it will be after Christmas.

1sgret
12-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Joe:
That is something I never saw. What might have cause that a wire or something?
Thanks
Roger

Not quite sure.Roger.

Pick an answer from the lst Post until I get it back from Mike Diamond with his findings. He is the expert.

1sgret
12-26-2008, 11:26 AM
The coin has been reviewed by Mike Diamond.

Quote" It's definitely a case of pre-strike damage. Something dragged through the planchet, tearing away the copper plating and exposing the zinc interior. This is evident from looking at where the zinc band intersects the design rim. Here the design rim is notched. An originally continuous gouge persists here because effective striking pressure is lowest here.
Although it's not a valuable error it's still an unusual find. End Quote"

So if you picked answer #1 you knew more than I did as I picked ###3.