PDA

View Full Version : 1944 D/S #2 found in bankroll

penny man
08-26-2012, 02:32 PM
I found a 1944D-1OM-002 in my box of wheats from circulation. It is about VF, with a few small spots of verdigris on the obverse that I mistook for carbon spots at first. All the markers match.

simonm
08-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Get some pics up, I would love to see it since I have yet to find one.

penny man
08-26-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm on vacation now but I will get pics up on saturday when I'm back.

ray_parkhurst
08-26-2012, 03:09 PM
I found an MS63 in a BU roll about 15 years ago. I had to go to the Bay Area for work (was living in Folsom at the time...not the prison but the town nearby) and on my way back I got a speeding ticket near Elk Grove. I decided to go to traffic school (not online yet, this was 1997) and turns out the ticket was from Lodi Superior Court. I looked in the phone book and there was a coin shop in Lodi so I decided to see what he had. As I remember I bought a handful of BU wheat rolls, all tubed, including a 1944-D, and in that roll I found the single D/S #2. I sold it a couple years later for $350, which paid for my ticket and the traffic school.

Most of the time, there are multiples of a variety in a roll if it has any at all. But for a long time, I remember buying tubed rolls that had single examples of various varieties, including some expensive ones like the D/S. I had a theory at the time that there was a roll searcher who would pull ALL BUT ONE of a given variety out of the rolls he searched, leaving that single example for the next searcher to find. Perhaps he just wanted to "give back" and this was his way of ensuring the roll was still a prize for the next guy, I am not sure. But I always thought it was odd to find a single of a variety in a roll, and this seems as good an explanation as any. Anyone else have this experience?

jcuve
08-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Nice OMM find. Do post pics when you can. Congrats!

liveandievarieties
08-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Interesting thought Ray. I've actually experience the same from sealed OBWs. Admittedly, the vast majority of the time, when I pull something out of an original intact BU roll, there's multiples, but on several occasions it's just been a single example.

Some varieties of single coin finds include the '68-D DDR, 68-D RPM#1- 2 separate examples in separate OBWs out of a group of 30 of the same date. Also, more recently, Chugly searched 60+ original BU '66 rolls, only came up with a single '66 DDO (FS-101), I would have LOVED multiples of that one! All of these rolls I've referred to I am rather confident were completely unsearched, as I encountered other obvious errors in them- like clips and the like.

I don't know how to explain it with logic, other than chance, but it seems that single example variety rolls occur from time to time.

Sorry to veer off the path of the OP!

simonm
08-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Ray, I got a 2009 FY OBW roll from a fellow member, and pulled 14 examples of 1DR-021, and a single DDO. Sometimes I get multiples from an OBW roll, sometimes I don't. I sure like it more when I do though. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

ray_parkhurst
08-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, and I do want to give congrats to penny man for the great find of this elusive variety!

I also have another story, heading the opposite direction...

A couple years ago I picked up an original SF Mint bag of 1945-S Cents ($20 bag, 40 rolls). The coins were rolled in paper tubes, not OBW, with the tubes having an early 1960's date code similar to the BofA OBWs. I've opened 5 or 6 of the rolls so far, and every single coin is from the same die! Would have been nice if they were something interesting like an RPM or Doubled Die but alas they are all "normal" cents, albeit with gorgeous shell-case toning. Some day, maybe soon, I'll open up all the rolls and see what's in there. The $20 canvas bag is pretty cool as well...

liveandievarieties
08-26-2012, 05:57 PM
That IS hard to imagine, never experienced anything even close Ray.

BTW- Have you gotten moved into your new house?

ray_parkhurst
08-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Yes, finally living at the place. My wife couldn't stand waiting any more so we kicked the workers out and moved in. Plus the apartment we were in raised the rent by 40%, and it was already higher than we were comfortable with. Anyway, I ended up with the smallest bedroom for my man cave...80 square feet just for me. First thing I did was put up all the TAP coin plaques I've been accumulating/collecting over the last 7 years since we sold our last house and have been renting. I will take a picture soon, as I promised a while ago. But what I have on the wall is:

Indian Cent Obverse and Reverse
Lincoln Cent Obverse and Reverse
Buffalo Nickel Obverse and Reverse
Mercury Dime Obverse and Reverse
Washington Quarter Obverse (I don't think they made the Reverse)
Franklin Half Reverse (I don't think they made the Obverse)
Peace Dollar Obverse
St Gaudens Eagle Obverse
St Gaudens Double Eagle Obverse

The last two I came across were the Quarter and Half. I always thought the Quarter would be Standing Liberty and the Half would be Walking Liberty given the vintage of the other plaques, but I was in for a surprise! I still need the Pratt Half Eagle and Quarter Eagle, but given what the Quarter and Half I am wondering what to expect here, or if they even made them. I'll keep searching.

I've been doing a little photography work, but am not fully back to full speed yet. Still working on finishing bathroom and kitchen floors (remember when I said the wife kicked the workers out...we only have one partially-working bathroom) so until they are done I only have a small amount of spare time and I must use it efficiently...