PDA

View Full Version : [Example] 1982 lg date (natrually toned) 50% off center

1sgret
12-24-2008, 08:47 AM
This is a 1982 Large Date (CU) Lincoln 1C which has been struck 50% Off Center and is Graded MS-65 Brown.

However I think the Color Designation on the Slab is incorrectly stated. I
would have put RAINBOW.:)

I photographed the coin as is and only adjusted the size.

jcuve
12-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Beautiful coin. Where did you find it? You have a wonderful selection in your collection.

I have always thought there should be other color designations for Lincolns besides red, red-brown and brown.

1sgret
12-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Beautiful coin. Where did you find it? You have a wonderful selection in your collection.

I have always thought there should be other color designations for Lincolns besides red, red-brown and brown.

I picked this coin up about 20 years ago at a Flea Market in Colo Springs, CO.
I kept the coin in a brown paper envelope for several years in a cardboard box.
When I took the coin out to send it in to be encapsulated a few years back it had toned to this color.

Bob has suggested that they have a Zinc category also. I guess they could also put toned on the slab as the colors will vary.

Thank you for the comments on my collection.

I will be posting more errors/varieties on the Forum as long as the members want to see them.:LOL_Hair:

dvn
01-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Beautiful!!! I just luv those toned ones!!!

I have a 1972 cent DDO#3 that is also broadstruck and with natural irresdescent rainbow toning.

1sgret
01-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Beautiful!!! I just luv those toned ones!!!

I have a 1972 cent DDO#3 that is also broadstruck and with natural irresdescent rainbow toning.

I don't own too many toned coins, however I think they are really attractive especially if you have a strong strike underlying the toning.

RWBILLER
01-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Joe:
I love off-center coins - when we found our 1987 (50-60%) in a roll, your first reaction is Wow! You can show a person who does not collect coins a double die, and they will say ok - but show them an off-centered coin and they say Wow!
thx
Roger

1sgret
01-01-2009, 06:27 PM
So many people do not understand about DD's but you show them an error coin and they ask you where did you get that? Or how did you make that?
Most Errors are easy to talk about in layman's terms and varieties are not. So most people can see and understand what a basic error is about. Yes; you are right an error coin has a "WOW factor.

However a variety must be explained and scrutinized with magnification to indicate what you are talking about. Still most people do not understand unless it is like a 1955 or 1972 DDO.