PDA

View Full Version : Is this real 1931-S RPM???

CrazyZap
09-11-2012, 10:27 PM
http://www.cointalk.com/t213204/

simonm
09-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Welcome to the LCR. As pointed out on the cointalk forum, there is a possibility of this being a counterfeit. Not sure if you didn't like the answers there but I would wait until you get a definitive result (by submitting it to a pro) before taking it to another forum. Also, an RPM is not an error, it is a variety. (which is why I moved the thread)

It also helps if you include pictures here for convenience, instead of just providing a link and having us switching between sites.

Antiquity
09-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Just doesn't look right to me, but I'm no expert. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole unless it was verified authentic.

simonm
09-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Just doesn't look right to me, but I'm no expert. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole unless it was verified authentic.

Agreed. If this was my coin, my number one priority would be getting it verified as authentic.

liveandievarieties
09-12-2012, 01:44 AM
That's hysterical- you've got a '69-72 style obverse hub style with a late 40s thru early 50s reverse and a 1931 date that looks like it was created through photoshop. Did you make that yourself? It's fun to look at.

AND NO- It's not real!

CrazyZap
09-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Hello Simonm, Thank you for the welcome. Yes, I do realize there is a possibility that my coin my not be real. I don't think anyone would be happy to hear that there Key Date RPM Wheat Penny is fake.. I discovered this website today and decided it would be a great on for me to join, beings I am trying to start a coin business dealing with mainly Indian Head & Wheat Pennies. I Actually have this coin Listed on me E-Bay site Pacific Coast Pennies. I wanted to see what kind of response I got there also. I am ending that auction tonight after 8 days. I have contacted PCGS about this coin. I have a PCGS rep helping me to figure out weather I should send it in or frame it! I figured expanding my question to this forum, and getting other opinions would help with my never ending search for knowledge. I have only been dealing with coins for 9 months now. And "IF" this coin is real.. The more people that are a wear of it, the better chance I have at bringing in top $$$$:LOL_Hair: If its not real... Bummer, but I have learned much from it... THANK YOU

CrazyZap
09-12-2012, 01:51 AM
liveandievarieties,
Yeah, I make it myself... Pretty good huh?

liveandievarieties
09-12-2012, 02:14 AM
Seriously, it's a combination of cents from several different decades, SOMEBODY made it.

I've seen images that people have created on a computer as well as coins that people have altered.

I'm serious in saying the obverse and reverse were created decades apart- pull out some pocket change and compare it to a cent made between 1969 and 1972, then compare it to a cent made in the early 30s- you'll see what I mean. Neither the obverse or the reverse of your coin will match. I've literally searched over a million wheat cents in the last 25 years, I really do (and do know) what I'm talking about.

Maineman750
09-12-2012, 02:29 AM
As Chris stated...this is a counterfeit coin. Just take a minute and compare the 3 to an authentic coin,the difference will jump out at you.

trails
09-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Two "red flags"; the digits of the date are not horizontally even on the top. They are on a authentic 1931-S. The date is askew in comparison to the word LIBERTY. Both should be on the same horizontal plane.

I would dip this coin in acetone and see what falls off.

BJ Neff

Chugly
09-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Unfortunately, there is no question that this is a somewhat poorly made fake. We should be lucky that we can tell the difference so easily given the sophistication of modern counterfeiting operations. Fakes are flooding the market from China every day! This is another lesson to only buy certified examples of key date coins and be well versed in counterfeit slab detection as well!

DoubleYou
09-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Definitely counterfeit. The obverse style is all wrong for starters, and almost all the other features I'm seeing scream fake so loudly I was surprised by the people at cointalk who simply called it MD, which is almost as bad an assessment as this coin is a counterfeit.

CrazyZap
09-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Awe, much better feedback. I am seeing all the little differences that everyone is pointing out. This will help me to be able to tell the fakes from the real ones in the future. I am looking for positive feedback, even if its negative about the coin. If the coin is fake, then so be it. I want to know. But most important to me, is I want to know how to recognize the little tiny things that most people don't see. That's why I have posted this coin for you (experienced coin collectors/dealers) to see. I like to keep it real!!!