PDA

View Full Version : 1986 D/D Tilted

mikes7657
09-15-2012, 05:26 PM
OMG, I just found this 1986 D/D tilted. What do you think? 1MM-004?

Mike

mikes7657
09-15-2012, 09:06 PM
I found a split in the top serif. I think the split is good because there is not a lot of ding-and-scratch activity in the vicinity of the date and MM to suggest the coin was "nicked" at just the right place to make a split serif. The die on this coin is tired, LDS probably, but it is not ripped to shreds. I think this is the correct RPM variety classfication. There are no pictures to look at and compare the mint-mark position and ecetera. Can anybody help?

Mike

BTW, OMG = Oh My Gosh

simonm
09-15-2012, 09:09 PM
There are no pictures or description of 1MM-004 on coppercoins, so I don't know how you came to the conclusion it was that one.

mikes7657
09-16-2012, 01:37 AM
I haven't formed a single conclusion in this thread. All I did was reference where it "might" fit. Where are you getting this information?

I hope that people are not going to start putting words into my mouth.

Here are a few more pictures.

Mike

mustbebob
09-16-2012, 03:49 AM
No one is putting words in your mouth Mike. You guessed it might be RPM-004. Where did you get that info from if there are no photos on coppercoins to match it to?

From what I can make out from your photos, I do not see an RPM.

simonm
09-16-2012, 09:29 AM
I hope my comment wasn't read that way. I was just confused why you mentioned 1MM-004 when you don't know what it looks like. I personally am not seeing an RPM either.

kloccwork419
09-16-2012, 09:36 AM
I cant see what looks like a split serif on the second post but Im staying clear of this thread..lol

mikes7657
09-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Oh, I see...

I don't know the physics of punching a coin well enough to know if what I am seeing is even possible. I could use a 3D graphics illustrator right now.

I'll get back to this after some research. You're right. I don't know what 1MM-004 looks like. Coppercoins doesn't know what it looks like either?. It looks like they are referencing information that came from CONICA, and it also looks like the details of that information is not public.

Thanks for helping.

Mike

mikes7657
09-16-2012, 11:42 AM
No one is putting words in your mouth Mike. You guessed it might be RPM-004. Where did you get that info from if there are no photos on coppercoins to match it to?

Do you see the distortion in the MM in the last batch of photos that I posted? Thanks.

Mike

mustbebob
09-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Coppercoins doesn't know what it looks like either?.

Coppercoins does know what it looks like based on photos from another source. We just have not had one submitted to us for photos to be taken. We try to keep most of the numbers the same for RPMs based on the old RPM book Second edition.

mikes7657
09-16-2012, 08:18 PM
I cant see what looks like a split serif on the second post but Im staying clear of this thread..lol

Don't stay away.

The top split serif is only visible as a line in the last photo. This photo shows a very nice split.

Mike

lonegunlawyer
09-17-2012, 12:42 PM
The amateur weighing in again. I would not discount it being a RPM at this time.

Have you tried taking photos with light from different angles to try and capture the details of possible RPM better?

Also, it looks encapsulated. Is it something the grading company (or another) recognizes?

If this is for the purpose of submission to a grading company that recognizes the type of RPM you think it is, just submit it. For the cost, it will give you closure and peace of mind either way. I hope it is what you think it is.

mikes7657
09-17-2012, 01:01 PM
It looks like this one is going to Bob or James Wiles. I am stumped.

It has splits in both serifs, so it's worth sending in.

I'll throw up my last batch of photos and then let the server move this thread down the list. The server will archive it, sooner or later, and it move it to a seldom read sector of the server hard drive array.

I have to admit, this coin got me pretty excited. Even though RPM's aren't usually worth much money, they are fascinating to look at and find. I run into them every now and then when I search my penny pile. For every DDO or DDR that I find, I have already found 8-10 RPM's. Some of my coins I am absolutely sure I self-attributed correctly. However, Bob will soon have them "in hand," and I can found out how well I am doing, how many of them I got right.

This is fun. Even if I only get 3 out of 10 coins, or something like that, right, it's still worth all of the time and effort that I have invested into learning my hobby. The 3 or so coins that I get attributed were pulled out of the circulated rubble pile; I found them and they have value. It's hard to explain how that makes me feel, content, proud, satisfied? I can't articulate it well enough say it.

I have work to do and other coins to look at. See you all later.:tinysmile_classes_t

Mike

Thanks for looking

jcuve
09-17-2012, 01:11 PM
There is something up with the upper serif, but it could just be a ding or a lighting issue. An in hand look will clear it up.

In the future just mention what you think you have, an RPM or DDO etc, without a reference number unless you're certain it happens to be that number. It causes confusion and at times disagreements. There is no reason within the body of the thread not to mention any reference numbers there though.

mikes7657
09-17-2012, 01:17 PM
You guessed it might be RPM-004

I guessed it was a tilted RPM and asked if it was 1MM-004. But, I don't want to nit-pick my words or yours.

The important thing now is that I am looking at two split serifs. I couldn't find anything that matched it on any of the sites.

It should be sent in, IMHO. Thanks,

Mike

mikes7657
09-17-2012, 01:18 PM
There is something up with the upper serif, but it could just be a ding or a lighting issue. An in hand look will clear it up.

In the future just mention what you think you have, an RPM or DDO etc, without a reference number unless you're certain it happens to be that number. It causes confusion and at times disagreements. There is no reason within the body of the thread not to mention any reference numbers there though.

That clears a lot up. Thank you.

Mike

lonegunlawyer
09-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Hallelujah to the fun and satisfaction! That is exactly how I feel.

I remember a couple years back (before I had a loupe) I was going through some old wheats and came across a really nice red BU 1956 D/D RPM - 001. I was super excited. I looked in my price guide and did not see it. I thought I had discovered a new and rare double die.

Well, as the last coupled of years has passed, I have read more and learned it was a RPM (and still somewhat cool to the coin world). To me, that coin, and the several others I found with it, are the cat's pajamas.

It has only been in the last 4 months that I have really started to immerse myself in this (along with my passion for draped bust cents and half cents).

Anyway, keep up the search and who knows what you might find (a third 1958 DD or something entirely unique).