PDA

View Full Version : 1998 d ddr

standingpride95
09-21-2012, 08:15 AM
hello all i have continued roll searching this morning and have come across what appears and is hopefully to be a 1998 d ddr. I also took a pic of one of the die markers i could find and the mintmark is where it should be.

Maineman750
09-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Well, that marker doesn't match the DDR-001 on coppercoins...and the MM location means nothing after 1989. But....that does look pretty good....maybe even one to send to Bob for a look...let's see what others say.

lonegunlawyer
09-21-2012, 10:47 AM
I am seeing reasonably nice duplication of columns. As to type, I'll stick to trying to learn the wheats for now.

standingpride95
09-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Well, that marker doesn't match the DDR-001 on coppercoins...and the MM location means nothing after 1989. But....that does look pretty good....maybe even one to send to Bob for a look...let's see what others say.

I am seeing reasonably nice duplication of columns. As to type, I'll stick to trying to learn the wheats for now.
I see i guessed the die markers would have to be at least close to the area where the die markers are indicated but I suppose it could mean if they arent they are a different listing and to add i didnt know that the mintmark location didnt matter from then on Lol. But I suppose maineman is saying i should get this attributed?

Maineman750
09-21-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm saying you may have a new listing. The mint marks were placed on the master after 1989 so location will not change from year to year. Markers do not change as far as location goes, but a chip may change in shape as it progresses. Other markers may be present or not depending on die state (age).

standingpride95
09-21-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm saying you may have a new listing. The mint marks were placed on the master after 1989 so location will not change from year to year. Markers do not change as far as location goes, but a chip may change in shape as it progresses. Other markers may be present or not depending on die state (age).

I see that makes a whole lot of sense. and well i guess since i "may" have a new listing this is indeed a double die reverse that maybe should get attributed for it being slightly different with the die markers and such? Please tell me also if i'm using the word "attributed" wrong.

Maineman750
09-21-2012, 01:56 PM
No...you are using the correct terminology and understanding me as well. Let's see if anybody sees something I missed...Fridays are pretty slow sometimes

mustbebob
09-21-2012, 02:08 PM
As it says on the site, this may in fact be Master Die Doubling (MDD). I can save you the money for an attribution as I wouldn't list these. There have been many found like this, but with different markers. In my mind, it is MDD.

Maineman750
09-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks Bob...and that is why I said "let's wait"....standingpride..in case you're wondering...MDD is a doubled die...however, it is too common to list since it is believed to be on the master die..much like the 1972's.

standingpride95
09-21-2012, 03:18 PM
As it says on the site, this may in fact be Master Die Doubling (MDD). I can save you the money for an attribution as I wouldn't list these. There have been many found like this, but with different markers. In my mind, it is MDD.

So i guess if it is indeed master die doubling they would technically be non collectable?

Maineman750
09-21-2012, 03:21 PM
So i guess if it is indeed master die doubling they would technically be non collectable?

Collect whatever you like...but don't expect a premium...that's all

standingpride95
09-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Collect whatever you like...but don't expect a premium...that's all

Yes not expecting to sell this just wondering if its at least worth more than one cent, for i collect anything worth over face value and if its not then i won't collect it.

Maineman750
09-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Then no...go ahead and toss it back. I have saved nice examples of MDD from all mints just to have as an example...but there is no real value.

standingpride95
09-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Then no...go ahead and toss it back. I have saved nice examples of MDD from all mints just to have as an example...but there is no real value.

I see well considering that and the extra research i had done I will keep mines just because its a nice condition coin and use it as reference. Speaking of MDD though the 1999 d ddr is just like the 1998 d but with far fewer ones than 1998 d as MustbeBob had stated on coneca forums a while back. I mention this because i have found one of these recently as well and am not sure if it should be treated the same as this still possible MDD.

simonm
09-21-2012, 04:02 PM
I keep most of my master die doubling examples of 1972 cents just as reference when comparing them to the actual doubled dies. They aren't worth a premium, but using them as educational pieces can be helpful.

standingpride95
09-21-2012, 04:06 PM
I keep most of my master die doubling examples of 1972 cents just as reference when comparing them to the actual doubled dies. They aren't worth a premium, but using them as educational pieces can be helpful.

Cool i can see how that is helpful considering that year has many listings of doubled dies. not sure 1998 d mdd would help in that way though.

standingpride95
09-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Yes not expecting to sell this just wondering if its at least worth more than one cent, for i collect anything worth over face value and if its not then i won't collect it.

Quoting myself here. I change what i say above. I collect anything thats a variety or unique is what i mean to say. So considering that would this still be considered a variety if worthless at that?

Maineman750
09-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Quoting myself here. I change what i say above. I collect anything thats a variety or unique is what i mean to say. So considering that would this still be considered a variety if worthless at that?

Yes..as we mentioned earlier...it is a doubled die...just very common.