PDA

View Full Version : 1964 foreign metal?

Vickilynn
09-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Here's one that looked funny to me. It appears to have some spots of a different type of metal. Is this an error or something else? Thanks
Vickilynn

liveandievarieties
09-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Sure looks like it Vickilynn, very cool!

uglycent
09-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Nice contamination, It is hard to tell if was in the die or on the cent.

liveandievarieties
09-24-2012, 09:46 AM
This isn't something that would be in the die, it was debris that was struck into the planched when the cent was coined.

mikediamond
09-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Very nice. It's either struck-in metal or rolled-in metal. It could be silver, but it's impossible to tell without a chemical analysis. If you're interested in selling it, contact me at mdia1@aol.com. -- Mike Diamond

wapa
09-24-2012, 10:29 AM
That is a sweet find Vicki, very interesting coin and a great specimen. Congrats!

simonm
09-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Awesome find vicklynn!

jallengomez
09-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Congrats Vicki! Nice find.

trails
09-24-2012, 11:05 AM
More than likely, the metal is from a fragmented feeder finger.

BJ Neff

lonegunlawyer
09-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Great find, but surely there is a better answer than "Sure looks like it Vickilynn, very cool!."

It appears the foreign substances did not become one with the planchet metals. This could have occurred during the cooling process of the metal before rolling, during the rolling process, or at the time of striking. Because it is not more spread out on the coin and still maintained its own identity, I would guess it occurred at striking.

liveandievarieties
09-24-2012, 11:31 AM
This could have occurred during the cooling process of the metal before rolling, during the rolling process, or at the time of striking. Because it is not more spread out on the coin and still maintained its own identity, I would guess it occurred at striking.

No it couldn't have- this metal inclusion could have ONLY been struck into the planchet. There's no guess work here, just simply a matter of educating yourself on the minting process to better understand how this type of error occurs.

lonegunlawyer
09-24-2012, 11:52 AM
I did not mean to be taken so harshly. But if I am mistaken, I did not see a real answer in your first reply. I have no doubt in your knowledge.

When you say struck into the planchet, do you mean when the planchet was punched from the strip?

liveandievarieties
09-24-2012, 11:54 AM
I mean that at the time of striking (by the dies), the planchet was normal. When the dies compressed to strike the cent there was foreign matter (white metal) between the planchet and reverse die. It was struck into the coin and retained. This metal could likely be pried out, though it would destroy a neat error.

Vickilynn
09-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Great find, but surely there is a better answer than "Sure looks like it Vickilynn, very cool!."
Yes his answer was vague,but I assumed he was agreeing that it was an error and that was all I did ask. Vickilynn

lonegunlawyer
09-24-2012, 11:59 AM
That is exactly what I think happened. I think we are on the same page (I apparently did not explain myself clearly) and I think your answer is right on.

Again, sorry, I did not intend or infer to impeach your credibility. I just thought it was a bit comical that your first post and not your explanation was listed as the "Best Answer."

liveandievarieties
09-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Her question was "is this?", and I said "Yup!".

lonegunlawyer
09-24-2012, 12:05 PM
That is the "Best Answer." It answered the question clearly and succinctly.

mikediamond
09-24-2012, 03:44 PM
It's not outlandish to suggest that these represent intrinsic metallic inclusions. There are many routes by which foreign matter ends up embedded in coins. However, since these metal particles are not elongated, do not align with the "grain" of the coin, and are surrounded by a narrow fissure, it's most likely they were either rolled into the strip near the end of the rolling process or were struck into the coin.

busyeye
09-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Love the cent and enjoyed the thread! WTG Vickilynn! WTG!

jcuve
09-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Nice rare error. Great find - congrats!

flyhi3
09-25-2012, 06:58 AM
Wow, very rare find!!! I assume is was from a bank roll? NICE!!!!!:)