PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Reverses

die-varieties
10-08-2012, 12:19 PM
I have been to Wexler's site to attribute the different 1988 reverses which is a great tool. My question is do these reverses command any premium? Is there one that is considered rare, or are they all rare? I just found 1988 1c WTRD-004 and was wondering how rare it is and what its value maybe. Coin appears to be AU. Sorry, getting my camera fixed so can't post any pics right now.

Thanks!!

simonm
10-08-2012, 12:25 PM
The 1988 cent with the reverse die of a 1989 cent does command a nice collectors premium. Not sure how much, I would check ebay to get an idea.

DCW
10-08-2012, 04:04 PM
I dont think any of them are "rare" in the literal meaning. The Denver is certainly harder to find than the Philadelphia.

jcuve
10-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Prices have dropped on all of these. Denver versions still do well. I am not aware of any particular die pairing that is rarer (or more coveted). Time will tell. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a particular pairing that was harder to come by. And I agree with Simon to check eBay to get a sense of the prices.

hasfam
10-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Ebay may not necessarily be the best place to check because I believe a lot of these RDV transactions take place between collectors one on one and not through ebay, Teletrade etc. At least this has been my experience.

Scott99
10-08-2012, 06:19 PM
I've watched quite a few rdv-006 88 P cents on ebay and they usually end around $8-$10 for circulated condition.

DCW
10-08-2012, 06:25 PM
I've watched quite a few rdv-006 88 P cents on ebay and they usually end around $8-$10 for circulated condition.

Which is a shame, because they're really not easy to find in the wild. I have only found 1, and it's naturally the less scarce P version. I think for the general public, it requires too much magnification and study to discern the shape of the tiny G that sets it apart from the "normal" coin. Maybe that will change and it will gain acceptance if it gets into the highly anticipated new edition of the cherrypickers guide.

Scott99
10-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Which is a shame, because they're really not easy to find in the wild. I have only found 1, and it's naturally the less scarce P version. I think for the general public, it requires too much magnification and study to discern the shape of the tiny G that sets it apart from the "normal" coin. Maybe that will change and it will gain acceptance if it gets into the highly anticipated new edition of the cherrypickers guide.

Indeed it is, I too have only found 1 and it was also P. Hopefully it does get accepted into the CPG to shed some light on the variety. I personally liked it a lot. :)

Maineman750
10-09-2012, 03:06 AM
The last three circulated "P" examples on eBay went from $18-55 each. I too am hoping the CPG will list these. I've found 5 examples so far but it's been a while since the last one.

jcuve
10-09-2012, 07:20 AM
The only two transitional or mismatched reverses to gain in popularity or price, are the '92 & 92-D CAMs. Everything else, CPG number or not, has waned. The '99-S & '98-S CAMs as well as the '99 WAM are doing ok, but have slid in price. The '88-D reverse of '89 is the only one I cannot find a recent sale for (so it may be doing better I suppose). The '88 reverse of '89 as well as the '98 & '00 WAMs have just been stagnant.

I'm not sure the identification of reverse dies is helping. Regular collectors are just not going to know what to make of them. The existence of the various dies cuts into the very real notion that they are rare. If one just thinks, ignorant or not, that it was a Mint mistake that happened briefly with one die, it is easier to believe it is rare.

Think about the so called type 1 & 2 Washington quarters or Franklin halves. Nice and simple, either one reverse or the other.