PDA

View Full Version : Die varieties by year - can we take it further?

Justafarmer
10-09-2012, 03:50 AM
I have visited the new forum Die Variety By Year several times but wonder if the idea could be expanded on? Suppose each year was a sub-forum instead of a thread. Under each yearly sub-forum an individual could start a thread concerning a specific variety. Once a thread is initiated concerning a specific variety all post concerning that variety - images, information and etc are to be posted in that thread only. In other words no additional threads initiated about a variety that already has an established thread. Seems to me that after a year or so the members of LCR will end up developing an orderly searchable extensive Lincoln Cent variety resource. Just myself thinking out loud.

Maineman750
10-09-2012, 04:00 AM
Sounds pretty cool, but I have to ask what advantage that would have over coppercoins.com ?

jcuve
10-09-2012, 07:32 AM
As interesting as it would be to have such a database on site, we would have to have an online attibuter to review the submissions. It would just become too confusing without a few rational minds keeping it organized.

More importantly, we could not compete with coppercoins.com (as Roger has pointed out). At best it would be something like Wexler's best of sections. And why would we want to compete with CC anyway? How would we deal with die markers or die state (or stages)? Years with a few varieties would be easy. Years with a lot of varieties would become chaos. Anyone want to deal with 1960 RPMs? 1962 DDOs, 1964 DDRs, 2006 DDOs and 2009 DDRs...

I think, at least for now, we are better off with a sampling of varieties from members. I am open to new ideas and interested to see what others think of the above proposal.

jallengomez
10-09-2012, 07:44 AM
As far as this goes, I think the variety section that we already have suffices just fine. As long as people use appropriate titles, it's easy enough to search the forums for the variety.

flyhi3
10-09-2012, 08:05 AM
I agree with Jason, I think it would be to much Chaos. Maybe at some point, we could reach out and expand on it, but I think it is a little bit to much for right now.

mustbebob
10-09-2012, 04:57 PM
I really think this forum is an excellent gathering point for ALL things Lincoln Cent Related. Coppercoins deals with varieties only, not errors. But for me personally, I love how we can concentrate on a single find here, give suggestions, or even attribute it. We are not limited to any one part of the hobby. Coppercoins, and the other files will always be there. There is not sense in trying to duplicate what is already available for you. In addition, the other major attributers visit here also. Seems to me like we have the best of all worlds right here as it is.

seal006
10-09-2012, 05:28 PM
The main thing that I feel these threads add above what is already available is photos. Not knocking Bob's photography skills, I love the photos on CC. I just feel like we are now getting to look at different coins with the same variety. These photos may show a different die state not available on CC, different die wear, as well as environmental changes to the coins. When looking at CC you see one coin, with the occasional one or two other die states. I also feel it would be a good chance for Bob to contact contributors that may have coins that are in die states not already cataloged on CC. Just a thought.

flyhi3
10-09-2012, 05:53 PM
I also feel it would be a good chance for Bob to contact contributors that may have coins that are in die states not already cataloged on CC. Just a thought.
I completely agree with this. A good opportunity for ya Bob :)

mustbebob
10-09-2012, 06:03 PM
I also feel it would be a good chance for Bob to contact contributors that may have coins that are in die states not already cataloged on CC. Just a thought.

No doubt about some of the great photography here on the forum, but size, description block and all other kinds of info would need to be considered. However, there are not enough hours in the day, or days in my life where I could possibly go looking for more work. I am afraid coppercoins is what it is Sean. It was not meant to be, nor will it ever be a photographic showcase.
If folks agree to make the forum their personal attribution place, then as Jason points out, there are many other things to consider. Who will attribute the coins? What number will be used? Who will maintain the data base? Who will take marker photos?
If you want to start your own attribution service here, that completely defeats the purpose of this forum.
There are no limits to the number of web sites that you can have to attribute coins. However, there are copyright issues as well.
I know you know all this Sean. But, you know what? (And this is not necessarily from this thread), I think my biggest gripe is that folks assume that all I do is sit at home, attribute coins, and sign on to the forum once in a while. I don't expect the newer folks to know, but I actually build homes for a living. I work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day. Coppercoins is afforded whatever time I can give it between all else that goes on. Like most of you, I do it for the love of the hobby. Everyone has the freedom to choose what service best suits their needs. I know a ton of you use coppercoins daily. For that, I thank you all sincerely. Please just remember that what is there was originally Chucks private inventory that has expanded to what it is today. If it suits your needs, then great. If not, there are other places to consider that may or may not offer what coppercoins does, or what this forum does. Thanks for your opinion Sean.

seal006
10-09-2012, 06:12 PM
CC is and always will be my primary source for attribution help. My idea was for this forum help that source not compete. Take for example the 1997 doubled ear. On CC it shows MDS photos. What if a member were to post an EDS photo? I just thought it would be an easier way for you, Bob, if you were inclined, contact that member to shoot that coin for the CC files. Yes, I know you have a life outside of LCR and CC. This was one reason for suggesting this. But if you feel it is too much, I accept that and appreciate the service you do have for all of us to use and enjoy.

Justafarmer
10-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Well maybe it wasn't a good idea.

mustbebob
10-10-2012, 03:37 AM
Well maybe it wasn't a good idea.

It is a good idea, and like other ideas, it should be discussed like this was/is. There has been some good dialogue, and you are given different points of view. Just because one or two people may post something that doesn't quite agree with another, it doesn't mean it is dead.

Sean, I appreciate your point of view, and your suggestion. I just can't see it working at this time. Maybe when I retire (for the 4th time), I can do things like searching out die states of varieties from the membership.

jcuve
10-10-2012, 05:34 AM
This was a good discussion, thanks for initiating it.

hasfam
10-10-2012, 05:46 AM
I say Keep it Simple. Let it evolve naturally over time. If enough people continue to show interest AND participation over the coming months then tweeking it on the 2nd round would be a natural thing to do. Just remember, Coppercoins has been tweeking and adding for 14 years or so? There is nothing comparable to it on line or any where else and probably never will be. Let's let this build, if it's inclined to, in a natural and orderly way. JMHO