PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Searched Wheat Cents

coincollectingenterprises
10-15-2012, 03:11 PM
I want to conduct a bit of an experiment and see what price searched wheat cents would go for on my site. The problem is, I only have unsearched. I do not have the technical expertise to search wheat cents to create a product for searched wheats.

Therefore, I am asking:

(1) What price would you sell searched wheat cents to me for (including any shipping costs)?

Please understand I am not discussing individual coins but rather the "pile of wheats left over you thought weren't worth more than 1 cent"

Feel welcome to respond below with hypothetical cost assistance and thoughts or send a private message if you wish to conduct a trade.

As long as there is enough margin for both you and I, I'm happy but please keep in mind we both need to make a little margin to make it worth while as this is a beta product experiment.

copperlover
10-15-2012, 04:29 PM
A dealer near me pays 3c for all wheat cents. I will call to see what he would pay for a pile like
those you have.

Lucien

10-15-2012, 04:50 PM
A dealer near me pays 3c for all wheat cents. I will call to see what he would pay for a pile like
those you have.

Lucien

Thank you. I never really see sellers that sell "searched" wheat cents. Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

seal006
10-15-2012, 05:01 PM
You will find listings on eBay from time to time that do claim they are searched.

liveandievarieties
10-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Understand that "searched" means many different things to different folks. I buy "searched" bags of wheats all the time and pull out rolls of teens and 20s cents. They searched them for key dates. Searched on eBay can mean that there's nothing but 40s and 50s wheats, but we all know that some of the best and most valuable varieties are found in that date range. When I search a bag, I pull out what is valuable to me- then Chugly could come along and pull 40 Class VI DDRs and minor RPMs that I don't have a market for....

It's not searched until I finish going through it!

Chugly
10-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Understand that "searched" means many different things to different folks. I buy "searched" bags of wheats all the time and pull out rolls of teens and 20s cents. They searched them for key dates. Searched on eBay can mean that there's nothing but 40s and 50s wheats, but we all know that some of the best and most valuable varieties are found in that date range. When I search a bag, I pull out what is valuable to me- then Chugly could come along and pull 40 Class VI DDRs and minor RPMs that I don't have a market for....

It's not searched until I finish going through it!

Amen to that:LOL_Hair:!

There may be bags that have been "searched," but very few people possess the skills to search for what we do. I have never bought a bag that wasn't worth my while at least from a variety perspective.

10-16-2012, 06:03 AM
Fascinating responses. Thank you!

Interestingly enough, I had a very long conversation with a customer yesterday that wasn't too happy with a purchase from me. The conversation of searched versus unsearched came up and it's interesting to see different peoples' views. They discussed it from a term of statistical probability of various dates/etc would literally have to be there if the volume of coin gone through increases. Taking them at their word, the coin they received did sound like it could be unusual, but not impossible.

It kind of stinks sometimes because not everyone will have good finds, or even any finds. That's why the copper pennies I sell are considered bullion and the unsearched is value added. Anyway, long story short on that, from my view as the seller, it averages out over buyers that there are both really good and really bad finds, but that argument never holds weight if you're the buyer that found practically nothing of "unsearched" value.

Then again, as you said, searched is such a weighted term, that they were ONLY looking for dates on wheat cents in the copper pennies and therefore missed a lot of potential goodies in the rest of it. So that's where my thoughts on how to value searched versus unsearched goes as I want to label coin properly based on the most common grounds definitions.

Scott99
10-16-2012, 06:12 AM
My searched pennies that I turn into the bank soon after become unsearched bank wrapped rolls. So to me the terms do not hold much water. I personally would sell 'searched' and 'unsearched' at the same price unless I had first-hand knowledge that a jar of pennies had been sitting in the bedroom closet of an old house since 1958 without ever being touched. Then I'd probably charge more for that batch of wheats. lol

10-16-2012, 06:16 AM
My searched pennies that I turn into the bank soon after become unsearched bank wrapped rolls. So to me the terms do not hold much water. I personally would sell 'searched' and 'unsearched' at the same price unless I had first-hand knowledge that a jar of pennies had been sitting in the bedroom closet of an old house since 1958 without ever being touched. Then I'd probably charge more for that batch of wheats. lol

Good points! But like you said, it's so beyond impossible to gauge what one person wants versus the next if they don't properly disclose it in full up front what the intentions are. On a very rare occasion, I'll accept a return if the situation warrants it, but then I have product I can't sell because to me, if it has been handled by someone else, it goes from the term "unsearched" to the term "searched" as I have no idea what they did with the coin and have to wait for someone only buying for bullion value alone and okay with that to sell that coin. Pretty much a pain but it's the only solution I can think of to "keep honest" at this point.

flyhi3
10-16-2012, 04:21 PM
How about this, you send me some unsearched wheats, I'll search them, pay you for the good ones, ship the rest back, and you can sell them as searched?:angel:

liveandievarieties
10-16-2012, 05:06 PM
That's great thinking Alex, beter yet- why don't you just go to your local coin dealer and ask him if you can "borrow" a bag of 90% silver and search it. Bet you I'll be able to hear the dealer laughing from where I am....

flyhi3
10-16-2012, 05:32 PM
That's great thinking Alex, beter yet- why don't you just go to your local coin dealer and ask him if you can "borrow" a bag of 90% silver and search it. Bet you I'll be able to hear the dealer laughing from where I am....

There ya go, now your thinking:LOL_Hair: