PDA

View Full Version : 1957 D and D ?

stoneman227
10-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Maybe I shouldn't post this one , as it's another one that has always bugged me. Some years ago I sent the two I have in to Coneca and was told it was a die chip, but then again that same shipment included two 1942 coins that were rejected as abrasion doubling instead of a DDR . These later turned out to be 1942P-1DR-007, a nice DDR .
So forgive me for asking again but it is such a nice rounded die chip that looks to me a lot like the serif of a D sticking out of Abe's jacket. Thanks in advance for your opinion.
John

jcuve
10-21-2012, 06:41 PM
I would think if it was an errant, far south mintmark, it would also show, to some degree more specifically in the coat. Having seen an early die state of 1953-D RPM-028, where the mintmark is almost that far down. The outline of the D is both in the field as well as the coat. To have a well defined serif, I would expect some obvious detail within the coat that is stronger than what is seen on 1953-D RPM-028. So, I would agree it is either a gouge or a dent. Interesting nonetheless!

And BTW, when and to whom did you send them into? Was it Wiles or earlier?

stoneman227
10-21-2012, 07:01 PM
That explains it , Thanks!
It may have been Wiles. It was the only submission I ever sent in. The only success I had from that lot was a 1948 Washington Quarter that ended up being the discovery coin for DDO-007. That may help you date it.

jcuve
10-21-2012, 07:04 PM
You could always send an email to Wiles with one picture and get his view or send it to Wexler. I certainly warrants a discussion.