PDA

View Full Version : 1955 D Over D (1955D-1MM-001)

KYPennyPitcher
10-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Sometimes you happen to meet someone who is a GREAT person and they just really make your day.
My wife and I were coming home this afternoon from visiting our daughter in Nashville and we stopped at several Antique Stores to browse through. At one store I began talking to an older gentleman who was packing up the articles in his booth. He said that he was finally retiring for good (at age 75) and he and his wife were going to move South to be nearer their daughter and their grandkids while they still could. I happened to spot several rolls of Lincoln Wheat Cents in one box and asked if he would like to sell them, which he readily agreed to at half the price he had been selling them for. Turns out that I bought the last nine rolls of Wheats he still had, and he was glad to "get rid of the darn things so I don't have to lug them around", as he put it. As I was leaving his booth, he stopped me and handed me this coin, a 1955 D Lincoln Wheat Cent in a 2X2 holder, and told me that I could have it. I glanced at it, then asked to borrow a magnifying glass he had in one of his boxes, and saw that it was a RPM D Over D! When I tried to get him to let me pay for it, he refused, saying that he would probably only loose it in packing to move and he would rather it have a good home somewhere. When I mentioned The Lincoln Cent Resource site, he said that he had looked at the site a time or two when his daughter was around to help him use the computer.
So, Mr. Jim, if you happen to look in again, here is your 1956 D Over D /1956D-1MM-001 / WRPM-001!!
And Thank You again for the gift of this coin.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/KYratchethead/1955DOverD1MM001b.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/KYratchethead/1955DOverD1MM001a.jpg

:)

amosamos16
10-28-2012, 06:23 PM
A very nice story, and a nice coin to boot. That's a great day. Concrats!!

simonm
10-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Nice RPM, congrats!

flyhi3
10-28-2012, 07:14 PM
That is a really neat story! Congrats!