PDA

View Full Version : 1966 Cent SMS DDR?

keelonzo
11-17-2012, 08:27 PM
This coin is giving me fits! I've been staring at it and scouring the web for info, but without luck - until I found a thread on LCR of course.

I'm seeing a doubled die and machine doubling. I guess it is possible to have 2-in-1.

The right most memorial bay has an extra half column, the N in UNITED has a nice die chip where I see doubling (but the other leg looks to have MD), The upper part of the bays have what appears to be doubling on SOME.

FG looks a little odd to me, but not doubled.

One of the memorial columns is "indented"

Please take a close look - The first thing that stood out was the doubled column - I THEN started to see everything else! Geez!

Plus it's super tuff to take pics through the SMS plastic with the other coins crampin my desk.... also think there is a DDO on the kennedy in the set!!!

Oh well... before I loose my mind.... please take a look!

simonm
11-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Keep in mind that doubled columns are more characteristic of single-squeeze hubbing. It may be a die gouge or some other anomaly, but I would be hesitant to call it a doubled die. If you feel strongly about it, then I would suggest sending it in to an attributor so they can give their professionl opinion about it.

jallengomez
11-17-2012, 08:40 PM
The "extra" column is part of the design. The rest is MD.

Scott99
11-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Id say its part of the normal design. Im certain if you look in the very first bay that youll see one there as well.

keelonzo
11-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Thank you for the fast reply Simonm ... any input on the other characteristics? Do you see MD? Any of the images make you think Doubled Die?

I'm still learning (as we all are in some ways) how to determine what I'm seeing. If someone "see's" something that might be worth sending in for an in hand inspection I would definitely consider it, but I try not to cry wolf too often.

simonm
11-17-2012, 08:44 PM
I am personally not seeing anything else resembling a doubled die...sorry.

mustbebob
11-18-2012, 04:37 AM
There is no doubled die on this coin. You definitely caught the MD. Some of the things you identify as chips seem like copper flakes to me.

keelonzo
11-18-2012, 08:43 AM
WoW! Thanks for all the great responses. I'm sure everyone knows that feeling of chasing Alice down the rabbit hole.... everything starts to "make sense" until you wake up!
.... on to some unc rolls! Cheers!