PDA

View Full Version : 1943 ddo/rpm?

willbrooks
11-24-2012, 06:41 AM
Gentlemen...you too Chris, :angel:
I am trying to get together a shipment to send to Bob and would like some opinions on a few coins before doing so. Here is a 1943S that appears to me to have an RPM, but I would like other opinions. Also, there is obvious extra thickness on the 43, and the motto when compared to other 1943 cents I have. Is this a class 6 DDO and/or and RPM? Thank you much for your opinions. Apologize for the glare, these BU 1943 cents are difficult.

flyhi3
11-24-2012, 07:03 AM
Hi Will,
I would say you have a minor class 6 on the date... what does LIBERTY look like? As for the MM, I can't say I see an RPM, but the bottom Serif of the S looks thick..... Maybe Bob will chime his opinion.

willbrooks
11-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Sorry, should have included an arrow. On the mint mark, I am seeing a split in the upper curl of the s as well. LIBERTY didn't strike me as unusual like the motto and date did.

flyhi3
11-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Oh, I see what you mean.. Because of the split on the lower serif, I would say it very well could be an RPM... I can't say for certain though, those 1943 cents are tricky.

Chugly
11-24-2012, 08:15 AM
I think you have a nice rpm for sure with that split lower serf and extra upper curve. There was actually a coin very similar to this one that just sold on e-bay. It went for north of $35 I think. Unfortunately, i am not seeing the class 6 DDO though. Nice find!

mustbebob
11-24-2012, 12:17 PM
In my opinion, it is not an RPM or DDO. The extra thickness on the 43 is the result of die wear, or maybe a striking issue. It is also the wrong place for a standard class 6 to be. The extra thickness usually affects the bottom of the 9, LIBERTY, and WE TRUST.
I see what you are seeing as far as a possible split in the mint mark. However, since there is a striking problem (slide type MD), I could not list it any way. I need to see an undamaged example in order to properly identify the repunching. Sorry...

willbrooks
11-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks, Bob, I will not include this one in my shipment. I appreciate the opinions everyone. Thank you all.

copperlover
11-24-2012, 01:26 PM
I have to agree that there appears to be a slide on the date and that makes it look like MD. I did see a split on the serif though.So this one was doubtful IMHO.

Lucien