PDA

View Full Version : A stake to the heart:(!

Chugly
11-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Hello again,

I spent most of Thanksgiving weekend in Seattle. Of course I couldn't resist the urge to buy a few boxes of cents when I was out and about. Unfortunately, I have been so busy, I didn't get to searching them until a few days ago. One of the boxes had been opened and later refilled with about $5 in customer rolls that had to have come out of a wishing well or maybe even the Pacific Ocean? Nearly all of the zinc cents were corroded and really gross. Of course, it was in this group of cents that I made one of my best (and worst) discoveries ever. A 1995-D-1DO-003!!

When first dropped (definitely in water of some sort), this coin was a blazing red uncirculated example. Heartbreakingly, it didn't take long for the dreaded zinc rot to attack! I have looked so hard for this coin, it was sure nice to finally find one. Too bad verdicare can't work a miracle and fill in that hole:(. Oh, well you win some, you loose some. This one is off to e-bay as I can't stand to look at it:(. It will be interesting to see what it brings. I will let you know if it sells. Until then, happy hunting everyone!

John

liveandievarieties
11-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!! :(

simonm
11-29-2012, 11:01 AM
That's the worst best find I have seen yet!

Chugly
11-29-2012, 11:15 AM
That's the worst best find I have seen yet!

Yeah, thanks Simon (I think):LOL_Hair:!

Maineman750
11-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Well, that sucks :squigglemouth: but cool find anyway.

jcuve
11-29-2012, 11:18 AM
One of my '95-D die 003s is equally damaged as this one. Maybe the die was cursed or something? :LOL_Hair:
Still a nice find and worth at least $50-75 do to rarity.

MrHaz78
11-29-2012, 11:29 AM
One of those "If Onlys" for sure. Ya hate to see a nice example succomb to the evils of zinc rot! I feel for ya. Bill

DSallee
11-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Oh wow! Awesome find but truely sux about the rot... :(

chuckster125
11-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Congrats on a super find!

* Also sorry about the Zinc Rot :( *

Roller
11-29-2012, 12:57 PM
That's too bad John but where there's one there are, usually, others in this game. I'd get some more boxes from the same area and go find the better one out there. It will be interesting to see the Bay result.

Scott99
11-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Nice find! It's horrible about the condition though. :(

flyhi3
11-29-2012, 03:39 PM
WOW... Awesome horrible find! :LOL_Hair:.. Still a super variety dispite the condition.

hasfam
11-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Heartbreaking. Our worst nightmare come true I think. But Congrats are still in order. One of the greater variety finds.

Antiquity
11-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Great pull Chugly. I wouldnt be able to part with it even with the damage. Just too cool, congrats!

Brad
11-29-2012, 03:54 PM
That sucks, but I would not be surprised if someone paid you $50 or more for it.

duck620
11-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Still a nice find! But that just makes me want to.......:(

LincolnLawyer
11-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Not too bad, got the potatoes but no gravy. :bigsmile:

Chugly
11-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Great pull Chugly. I wouldnt be able to part with it even with the damage. Just too cool, congrats!

Fortunately, I already have another example which is much nicer although not completely problem free. It does seem to be a really though variety to find in nice condition. Split plating, planchet issues and years of hard circulation plague this date.

Since I still have one, I don't mind parting with this coin at all. It is also a fun way for me to experiment on E-bay and get the cold hard truth on the values of damaged coins such as this. Hopefully, I can make more than the $25 cost of that box:)!

Here's more of the story... When I bought that box, another customer in the line next to me asked why I "needed so many pennies?" I don't get asked this often, but I have had some awkward moments answering this question in the past. Most of you know the drill I'm sure:). Anyway, this time I figured since I'm out of town, why not tell the full truth for once:LOL_Hair:! I told him I was a variety hunter and you wouldn't believe how many cool and valuable coins I had found over the years. I probably should have just said I needed them for my business (of searching pennies - ha ha), but he actually seemed impressed and even said he wished he had let me check the change he had just turned in. Little did I know at the time, I was holding one of the rarest DDO's in the entire Zinc series in that very box.

My auction has its first bid! Bank robbery at its finest!! Good luck searching everyone.

thecentcollector
11-29-2012, 04:38 PM
John... phenomenal find, in any condition. I've been proud enough to own 2 of these. I purchased both my examples (and later sold them), but I had an AU specimen with some minor staining, and an MS63RD. They are truly beautiful to look at, and once I get back to collecting, it'll be one of the first varieties I buck up for and re-add to my collection. Congrats again on a beautifully ugly find. :angel:

mustbebob
11-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Wow. Even with the damage, it is still beautiful in my eyes. What a great find.