PDA

View Full Version : Digital microscope

Loose change
12-22-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm looking to purchase a digital microscope, I would like to make a digital collection along with searching for varieties among my Lincoln's.
Any suggestions? Or ones to stay away from?
Thanks
Jeremy

Peter
12-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Forum members use a variety of instruments to aid them. Try the "Search" menu item above and type in digital microscope to see some past threads and get some ideas. I have a digital plug in next to my computer all the time and a stereo Amscope model I am happy with that I use to get down to the details. They can both be found on Ebay, Amazon or manufacturers websites.

LincolnLawyer
12-22-2012, 06:18 PM
On the cheap side ($40-$50) is the USB Digital Microscope that you plug into your computer. It magnifies 20X to 400X. I use it, and it gets right up to the mint mark for you.

simonm
12-22-2012, 06:19 PM
There are lots of threads about various scopes. As a general tip, if you are on a tight budget I would recommend a cheap USB scope to start you off. The "premium" scopes in my opinion are the AMscopes, but they can be pretty pricy.

CoinHELP
12-22-2012, 07:33 PM
You can find a good digital scope at ebay or online easily and most will do the job. Of course, the more you pay the better the image capture and resolution.

lucas_billy@yahoo.com
12-23-2012, 05:55 AM
i been looking into that to....i was wanting to upgrade to get better look at coins...i've been checking on ebay for them myself....

CoinHELP
12-23-2012, 02:33 PM
I have one and a TV seems to give a better image than my computer, just to add something already said, but warrants another mention. I almost sent my back because of the computer monitor resolution but after trying it on the TV it became a keeper.

Loose change
12-23-2012, 07:37 PM
There seem to be a lot of microscopes to choose from, I hope I make the right decision. I'm leaning toward the LightHouse brand digital microscope. Any neg or pos experiences with them?
Thanks to all
Have a merry Christmas

Maineman750
12-24-2012, 04:04 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that a variable zoom rate is desireable. Something like 5x-40x is what I would recommend along with a wide field of view.

jcuve
12-24-2012, 05:24 AM
The biggest drawback tot he digital USB scopes is the bright LED light.

CoinHELP
12-24-2012, 06:18 AM
The biggest drawback tot he digital USB scopes is the bright LED light.

Yes and than brings up another point to consider. My has a light dimmer and it helps some on the glare.

jcuve
12-24-2012, 06:28 AM
Yes and than brings up another point to consider. My has a light dimmer and it helps some on the glare.

If there are versions with a variable intensity LED, I would recommend those over the others. Diffusing the light with some tracing paper should also help.

CmonMang
12-24-2012, 09:13 PM
I have one of these, I hate adusting the settings all the time. I wish it was just plug and play haha!