PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of the 1941 DDO (treatment process)

simonm
12-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Hi all,

So I decided to try and remove the gunk from the 1941 DDO I found. My first step was putting it in a dish of goo-gone for 24 hours. I shot pictures through the goo-gone and the coin looked better, however upon removing it, the gunk had taken on a whitish look to it, similar to the last photos I took. After I removed it from the goo-gone and saw this white substance, I put it in a small dish of acetone for 24 hours and just removed it. The white stuff was still there. Am I doing something wrong? Should I leave the coin in for longer?

Thanks,

Simon

(remember, when I removed it from the goo-gone, it had the same "white stuff" that it did when I just removed it from the acetone)

Taken while in Goo-gone pics first

simonm
12-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Acetone pics

willbrooks
12-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Looking at it now, I don't think it is "gunk," rather corrosion. I hope I am wrong.

simonm
12-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Looking at it now, I don't think it is "gunk," rather corrosion. I hope I am wrong.

But the corrosion was not present on the coin before the cleaning. Did the chemicals have a negative effect on it?

willbrooks
12-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Man, I don't know. What scares me is that "gunk" usually gathers around the devices, but I also see it on your coin in the fields.

jcuve
12-22-2012, 06:47 PM
have you tried poking gently at the areas in question with a softened toothpick?

simonm
12-22-2012, 06:48 PM
have you tried poking gently at the areas in question with a softened toothpick?

Have not. I will give it a try soon and post the results.

copperlover
12-22-2012, 07:00 PM
It does look like you have some corrosion around the devices so efforts to remove the the material exposed the underlying corrosion. The whitish material seems to be dispersed all over the coin. The 24 HR exposure may be far too much for this particular coin.

Lucien

flyhi3
12-22-2012, 07:02 PM
I do not belive it is corrosion, does not look like it to me. And no, these chemicals will not corrode the coin, I have used them on many different ones (including steel cents) and they have never caused corrosion. They are meant to be Safe for metal.

simonm
12-22-2012, 07:09 PM

Jason to the rescue! I have slowly been removing the stuff with a softened toothpick, and it is coming off easily. The white substance has also seemingly been disappearing slightly on it's own. Only time will tell if it returns.

simonm
12-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Somehow the date fixed itself...very odd! I did not touch it whatsoever. Here are the pictures after a 10 minute going-over with a softened wooden kabob...I plan to do a little more later and see what else can come off.

hasfam
12-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Simon, That gunk turning white is common. jason's recommendation to use a soften toothpick work well...BUT, after I do the distilled water-acetone-xylene method and need to loosen and pick out the gunk, because it's still there I use a drop of verdi-care on those specific area, keeping the coin lubricated while I put it under thescope with a toothpick to complete the cleaning. Steady hands, keep lubricated, and a fine soft point on the toothpick. Wipe with a microsoft towel when finished. Some coins have taken several minutes-30-40 to work the gunk out, but it can be done.

willbrooks
12-22-2012, 07:23 PM
I am still seeing the exact same corrosion all around the date. Must be the eggnog.

simonm
12-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Simon, That gunk turning white is common. jason's recommendation to use a soften toothpick work well...BUT, after I do the distilled water-acetone-xylene method and need to loosen and pick out the gunk, because it's still there I use a drop of verdi-care on those specific area, keeping the coin lubricated while I put it under thescope with a toothpick to complete the cleaning. Steady hands, keep lubricated, and a fine soft point on the toothpick. Wipe with a microsoft towel when finished. Some coins have taken several minutes-30-40 to work the gunk out, but it can be done.

Whew! Thank you, Rock. I was quite worried that it actually was corrosion. Maybe it's time to buy myself some verdi-care. Thank you all for the recommendations!

I am still seeing the exact same corrosion all around the date. Must be the eggnog.
Will, check around the base of the 4. A lot of it has gone. Can't be the eggnog, I don't drink until around 8, LOL...

willbrooks
12-22-2012, 08:50 PM
But the corrosion was not present on the coin before the cleaning. Did the chemicals have a negative effect on it?

OK, I just looked at your original post and yes, the corrosion was present in every area that I still see it now. I do see where you mean that you removed some gunk around the base of the 4.

It does look like you have some corrosion around the devices

Thanks, Lucien, at least someone else sees it. I'm not alone.

I do not belive it is corrosion,

Do you guys seriously not see the corrosion all over the place? I really just took an eye exam this week and passed with flying colors, and I am only on my third eggnog. :sign10:

simonm
12-22-2012, 08:57 PM
I do see where you mean that you removed some gunk around the base of the 4

I did not touch the date at all. That is what makes me think it is not corrosion, it went away by itself. Maybe something dried up into a powder and blew away, or disintegrated in some other fashion.:ooh:

lucas_billy@yahoo.com
12-23-2012, 05:03 AM
so goo gunk u could use if wanted to for gunk.....

lucas_billy@yahoo.com
12-23-2012, 05:04 AM
goo-gone...sorry

jcuve
12-23-2012, 01:17 PM
I would suggest further experimenting on coins with little to no value. I have had my share of surprises after soaking and light conservation. Sheen or subtle color changes in undesired areas has been common.

BadThad
12-25-2012, 11:40 PM
You have a mixed residue, organic and verdigris. The organic solvents removed some of the organic residue and exposed the verdigris which was dehydrated in the process. Organic solvents, especially acetone, will dehydrate everything. That's why it turned green, white or hazy. Sometimes you can recover a little by soaking in water to rehydrate the surfaces. The bad part is water will also help to continue the corrosion process. This is exactly why I made VC....it's a tough battle.

For coins like this, you want to soak the coin and gently use a toothpick on the residue areas (while the coin is under fluid). Too much pressure and you'll rub away the patina, so you have to be very careful. NEVER dry rub on coin! For this coin, I don't believe you'll ever achieve 100% removal, the planchet is permanently stained around the devices so you have to be VERY careful not to get too agressive.

simonm
12-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Thank you for the help, Thad. I think I'll have another go at the coin tomorrow, maybe will post the results if it makes significant progress. This will probably be a coin I hold onto and not sell, so condition does not bother me as much as it would if I am selling.