PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Cent Books?

LKLive13
12-30-2012, 09:56 PM
I have looked around but I cant find a thread with a good list of books. I have the Cherry Pickers Guide and the Guidebook of Lincoln Cents by Whitman but I'm looking for something geared more towards RPMs, Clips, Die Cracks, Off Centers, and other errors and varieties. I would like to find one that includes the 2009 Lincoln Presidency series with values and approximate mintages. I don't know if such a book exists but I just figured id get your thoughts. Thanks for looking!!

liveandievarieties
12-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Arnie Margolis' ERROR COIN ENCYCLOPEDIA

Ken Potter and Brian Allen's STRIKE IT RICH

The out of print RPM Bible by James Wiles- THE RPM BOOK... he has it available on e-book

Those are just a couple off the top of my head, I'm a huge proponent of hard-copy books. PM me for other ideas, it's late and I have some pool games to play with Charity, lol.

LKLive13
12-30-2012, 10:06 PM
PM Sent! Thanks for those titles too!

ray_parkhurst
12-31-2012, 09:40 AM
In addition to the titles already mentioned, my Lincoln Cent Library is as follows, in no particular order:

Lincoln in Numismatics, King 1966 (not for varieties but great ref on Lincoln imagery on coins and medals)
The Lincoln Cent Doubled Die, Wexler 1984
The RPM Book, Wexler and Miller 1983
Double "D" Cent Guide, Kramer 1965
Mistrikes and Oddities in the Lincoln Cent, Jewett 1963
Major Variety & Oddity Guide, Spadone 1962
Looking Through Lincoln Cents, Daughtrey 2005
The Complete Price Guide and Cross Reference to Lincoln Cent Mint Mark Varieties, Allen and Wexler, 1999
The Complete Lincoln Cent Encyclopedia, Anderson 1996
A Numismatography of the Lincoln Cent, Wallace 1951
The Authoritative Reference on Lincoln Cents, Wexler and Flynn 1996
The Standard Guide to the Lincoln Cent, Taylor 1983...1992
The Works of Victor David Brenner, Smedley 1983 (Coins and Medals)
Matt Proof Lincoln Cents 1909-1917, Albrecht 1983
The Lincoln Cent, Manley 1981
The Classification and Value of Errors on the Lincoln Cent, Cohen 1969
US Copper Coins, Bowers 1984
Collecting and Investing in United States Small Cents, Schmieder 1985

I'd love to hear about other titles folks have or know of that are related to Lincoln Numismatics, Lincoln Cents, and Varieties in the Lincoln Cent.

Ray

onecent1909
12-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Here is what I use..with pics of the books
General error books (most errors are made the same on all coins)
The error coin encyclopedia, or Price guide to mint errors (best to me)
general Lincoln cent books..
The complete Lincoln cent encyclopedia, Guide book of Lincoln cents, or The complete guide to Lincoln cents (BEST TO ME)
Lincoln cent RPMs
The comprehensive guide to Lincoln cent RPM,The rpm book 2nd ed. Lincoln cents(best to me), or Lincoln cent rpm update
Lincoln cent doubled dies....booth by John Wexler....
The Lincoln cent doubled die(original bound,reprint spiral bound), or The authoritative reference on Lincoln cents (best to me)

to be continued...

ray_parkhurst
12-31-2012, 10:08 AM
One thing I forgot to add...while those are the books on my bookshelf, what I actually use for reference and attribution is either Coppercoins.com, Wiles' The Lincoln Cent RPM eBook, or the Wiles' Lincoln Cent Doubled Die eBook. You just can't beat the convenience of the online and eBook resources. That said, I do refer to my hard copy books quite often, but only when I can't figure something out using the electronic resources...Ray

flyhi3
12-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Where can these books be purchased? are they on Amazon?

It's late and I have some pool games to play with Charity, lol.

:crossedlips:

onecent1909
12-31-2012, 10:43 AM
General Varieties..
Cherry pickers guide booth volumes (best to me),strike it rich with pocket change
error,varieties book that are old and may not have correct info..but could be funny to read..
major variety and oddity (4 editions), how error coins are made in the US mint
nice general info....
Walter Breens complete encyclopedia of US and colonial coins (best to me),The macmillan dictionary of numismatics,United States copper coins, and the numismatist bedside companion

to be...continued....

onecent1909
12-31-2012, 11:03 AM
how about some cd-rom.....

modern clashed dies (B.J.Neff aka Trails discussion at FUN)
master hub and master dies of Lincoln cent 1909 to 2006 (B.J.Neff aka Trails)
The Hub 10 year review of the magazine for ncadd (doubled die club)
Die Variaty news..(hard to find) variety info 26 issues and a few extra issues made....
Detailed analysis of Lincoln cent varieties 1909-2009 (again very hard to find)
top 100 Lincoln cent RPM and OMM
detecting counterfeit and altered US coins
ANA grading mint state coins
AND
odd and curious and traditional money....

LOVE TO HERE ABOUT ANY THAT YOU ALL HAVE.....

LKLive13
12-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Sweet... Thanks for the info. Do you know of any titles that cover the 09 Lincoln Memorial series? Those are by far my favorite to find errors on but I cant "price" them when I find something interesting.

onecent1909
12-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Ken potter sells 09s on his website...http://koinpro.tripod.com/
so does John Wexler......http://doubleddie.com/
and Mr G.J. Lawson... sells and buys through a mailed catalog..for ddo/ddr, rpm, and errors for all denominations....PM me if interested.... Ill give you his address

I too forgot to say...WEBSITES...do searches... LCR and COPPERCOINS is by far the best

onecent1909
12-31-2012, 11:21 AM
Where can these books be purchased? are they on Amazon?:crossedlips:

Amazon,E-bay. members here, coin shows, books a million, barns and nobles, or old used book stores... call around and do web searches... found a lot at shows...
Ken Potter has a lot of the books for sale on his site.....http://koinpro.tripod.com/
John Wexler sells some of his books on his websites....http://doubleddie.com/

jcuve
12-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Good info. Maybe I can compile it all and make a single post stickie thread and then add to it as people have suggestions...

onecent1909
12-31-2012, 12:46 PM
looking to get ...
.Looking Through Lincoln Cents, Daughtrey
.The Complete Price Guide and Cross Reference to Lincoln Cent Mint Mark Varieties, Allen and Wexler,
.The Classification and Value of Errors on the Lincoln Cent, Cohen 1969
.Collecting and Investing in United States Small Cents, Schmieder 1985
.Wiles' Lincoln Cent Doubled Die eBook.
and these from ken potters website...
.The Quick Reference to the Top Lincoln Cent Die Varieties by Wagnon, Peterson, Flynn.

This thread has made me think of taking pics of all my books,mags,dvd,cdroms and other files and paperwork.....so I don't have to run around taking pics for different forums