PDA

View Full Version : One that's been bugging me for years

Davedawg
01-06-2013, 08:41 PM
I have found several of these over the past few years and want to know if it is one of the minor DDO's for 1972. The main area I am curious about is the N in "IN" and also the G in "GOD" The N is clearly visible whereas the G is a little harder to see but there appears to be some separation at the very tip of the curl on top as well as some on the base. Overall it seems that if it is a DDO that it would only be on the "IN GOD", the rest of the lettering seems normal, at least to me. Thanks

simonm
01-06-2013, 08:46 PM
60% of all 1972 cents had master die doubling, to some degree. I think that is what we are seeing here.
Keep up the hunt!

willbrooks
01-06-2013, 08:54 PM
I agree with Simon. "IN" and the G look like the master doubled die to me too. A shot of LIBERTY makes that an easy call if you have one.

jcuve
01-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Master die doubling as noted. I have detailed pics here: http://lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25424

Cherry Tree
01-07-2013, 08:14 PM
The master die doubling on the 1972 cents can be very frustrating, but all the effort will be worth it when your heart does skip a beat upon seeing the actual Doubled Die...keep up the search!

Jason - Thanks for the amazing pictures on the link above. :angel: