PDA

View Full Version : Restoring cleaned coins

mrbensteele
02-08-2013, 07:57 PM
As this is a sore subject to many, im sorry if this bothers any of you. I consider it less of a sore subject cuz I have no interest in value of my cents for selling purposes, i have no valuable ones any how, accept special coins which i use only water.
So When I began collecting wheats I used different mild acidic substances to remove dirt and such (vinegar or lemon juice. alternatively hydrogen peroxide on a few since i read somewhere it wouldnt harm them) but after sitting for a long time they had developed a horrible oxidized look, They appeared perfect like brand new when i initially cleaned them, the normal crisp copper color, nice in my opinion. So in an attempt to give them back some more original color, is there a substance , maybe like that Verdi-care stuff that would help return the wheats color, Im not saying the patina, cuz that takes time, just get rid of the oxidized orange/pink color. I know the weak acids remove a tiny layer of the coins surface but there must be a way to give it back the look they would have had.

Now please understand, this is not intended to scam anyone, this is my collection and i know i "ruined" them but id honestly like to know of any way possible to fix the damage iv done.

Thanks for any constructive opinions

jcuve
02-08-2013, 08:44 PM
You can only let them re-tone over time. Hope they go back to something normal, but they rarely do. Leave them on a wood window sill for a few months/years.

amosamos16
02-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Buy Some Dellers darkner. A few eac guys in my club use it. I know they completely strip the coin. Then a quick soak in xelone. Then apply the Dellers. Some of the late date large cents turn out beautiful. It's about conserving old copper to them, and is a common practice in the side of numastics.

mrbensteele
02-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Any idea where i can ind either of those?

pennies4pennies
02-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Jason is right but since they are little to no value to you, you can also try cent toner. I tried it a long time ago but don't care for it, but it will give it a darker tone then having pink color. There's nothing to bring back the true bright color, not unless you eletric plate a thin copper coating which is very hard. To much copper and the coin looks bad. To thin then the letters stick out a different color. It's a hard thing to do but I have seen it done. Best to just let them sit in a window where they get alot of sunlight. Or try the toner, which you can remove right away if you don't like it.
Frank

mrbensteele
02-08-2013, 09:04 PM
ok, well, since i have many duplicates ill give a few things a go, ill look up cent toner and see if its worth messing with.

amosamos16
02-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Most of your b&m shops carry it. I know you can buy it online.

mrbensteele
02-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Sorry im new to some terms, B&M, you men coin shop or hobby shops?

jallengomez
02-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Stick them in your pocket and carry them around for awhile.

pennies4pennies
02-08-2013, 09:11 PM
ok, well, since i have many duplicates ill give a few things a go, ill look up cent toner and see if its worth messing with.

You don't need there brush to use. Use a small paint brush like what you use to paint a model or maybe even a Qtip. There brush is a small brass one and it will scrach your coin.

simonm
02-08-2013, 09:41 PM
I've had relative luck putting them in a paper bag and sticking them in the corner of my closet over a few months. I'm not sure if you ever completely cover up the old cleaning. Experiment with a few different methods and see what works best.

GrumpyEd
02-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Sorry im new to some terms, B&M, you men coin shop or hobby shops?

Yes, B&M means "brick & mortar" meaning it has a building not just a mail order seller or whatever.

BadThad
02-10-2013, 09:11 AM
As this is a sore subject to many, im sorry if this bothers any of you. I consider it less of a sore subject cuz I have no interest in value of my cents for selling purposes, i have no valuable ones any how, accept special coins which i use only water.
So When I began collecting wheats I used different mild acidic substances to remove dirt and such (vinegar or lemon juice. alternatively hydrogen peroxide on a few since i read somewhere it wouldnt harm them) but after sitting for a long time they had developed a horrible oxidized look, They appeared perfect like brand new when i initially cleaned them, the normal crisp copper color, nice in my opinion. So in an attempt to give them back some more original color, is there a substance , maybe like that Verdi-care stuff that would help return the wheats color, Im not saying the patina, cuz that takes time, just get rid of the oxidized orange/pink color. I know the weak acids remove a tiny layer of the coins surface but there must be a way to give it back the look they would have had.

Now please understand, this is not intended to scam anyone, this is my collection and i know i "ruined" them but id honestly like to know of any way possible to fix the damage iv done.

Thanks for any constructive opinions

None of the solutions you used are "mild", in fact, they are all extremely harsh on coins. In general, acid (vinegar, lemon juice) + metal = BAD. Peroxide is also very damaging to coins.

VERDI-CARE™ will not retone coins. It is simply a corrosion and surface debris remover.

Unfortunately, your coins are ruined forever. The natural color will never return, they will always look funky even if they retone. A harsh cleaning cannot be "undone".

mrbensteele
02-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Well then good thing they are only worthless wheats, havent found any key dates yet.

eaxtellcoin
02-10-2013, 10:32 AM
I have a 1915-D RPM#1 in a original paper flip/coin holder that i've been trying to tone down for better than 6 years - direct sunlight. It has toned back somewhat but not very much. I've met dealers over the years that clean everything in the early stuff - 1915-1933 because it gives the coin a new look for them to sell at a higher price. Most of these coins naturally grade AU+ - That is why you must really check the condition before purchasing, and if the color is a bit off, Let it go. One friend I know had a 27-D RPM#1 in AU++ and he dipped the coin so he could get $65.00 for it. I was sick when I saw the coin, what a waist!!!

coop
02-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Eric: Did he sell it about 15 years ago? Mine looks like it might be the coin?

flyhi3
02-11-2013, 10:10 PM
It makes me simultaneously mad and sick when I see a great coin that was harshly cleaned.. oh well!