PDA

View Full Version : How/Why are errors released from the mint?

LKLive13
02-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before but im just curious. I understand that small detail slip through the QA personnel at the mint but i dont get how some of the errors we commonly see escape the mint. You know what i mean? I dont get how a coin that is so mangled it wont fit into a roll make circulation, are the mint workers bringing the coins out or what? How do they get into a collectors hands??

flyhi3
02-24-2013, 08:47 PM
In many cases the more major, dramatic errors are found in the bags from the mint, not rolls. All of the coins are not checked, as far as I know, and yes sometimes there are errors created by workers and then snuck out of the mint facility.

LKLive13
02-24-2013, 08:54 PM
In many cases the more major, dramatic errors are found in the bags from the mint, not rolls. All of the coins are not checked, as far as I know, and yes sometimes there are errors created by workers and then snuck out of the mint facility.

Thats kinda what i was thinking but i was under the impression that each coin or at least batch of coins got checked before being release. Thanks for the words!

flyhi3
02-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Thats kinda what i was thinking but i was under the impression that each coin or at least batch of coins got checked before being release. Thanks for the words!

The batch of coins is evaluated, but not every coin is. From what I understand, they just pull a certain quantity and evaluate those.

onecent1909
02-24-2013, 09:03 PM
PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG HERE
I am not sure on my dates...but.. around 1999-2000 the mint added more safeguards... shakers..and larger/smaller hole belts.. and the coins get put in bags.. and moved off site to a rolling station..around 1999 again.. the mint told said stations they could not keep the misshapen coins... it was explained to me that before this... as the tubes were filled if a coin was not the right size..an employee of the rolling station could remove the coin..and replace it..the mint has put a stop to this... the new "ridlers" with larger holes and smaller holes stopped most odd shaped coins from getting out...a small percent MAY get out illegally..but not very many.... all of this is why off centered coins after 2001 are harder to find than pre 2000

onecent1909
02-24-2013, 09:05 PM
The batch of coins is evaluated, but not every coin is. From what I understand, they just pull a certain quantity and evaluate those.

most manufacturing business have a QA department and yes they do a percent check...

enamel7
02-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Alex nailed it.

GrumpyEd
02-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Another aspect of it is that some errors we still get interested in fall within what they don't even try to catch.

I don't understand the flow but they cancel some coins like errors or extras or whatever with a waffle pattern. You'd think they would ensure that those get melted but there's a steady supply of them on the market. Search ebay for "waffle coin" or "waffled coin" and they turn up.

seal006
02-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Since I work inside of a prison, I can only imagine how those coins get out of the mint.:squigglemouth:

jfines69
02-25-2013, 08:34 AM
With current technology it would be impossible to check 100 billion plus coins each year... The mint inspectors only use a 3X glass for the inspection also... Maybe within the next 10 years the mint will have a machine capable of checking each coin for any flaws!!!

flyhi3
02-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Maybe within the next 10 years the mint will have a machine capable of checking each coin for any flaws!!!

I hope not!!!!