PDA

View Full Version : 1917S die crack question.

amnight
02-27-2013, 11:28 AM
My question is about the die crack going from the bust to the 7 in the date. It looks like it goes through the S mint mark. So my question is shouldn't the mint mark be over the crack since it is hand punched or is it and I just don't see that it does go over it? Thanks.

Maineman750
02-27-2013, 11:29 AM
The die cracked after the MM was punched,while it was in use making coins.

Steven
02-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Is this a die crack or just damage to the coin? Looks to be something similar in the field above the date.

mustbebob
02-27-2013, 11:40 AM
This is not a die crack. It is damage (someone/something gouged the coin with a sharp object). That also explains the appearance of the mint mark below the damage and the 7 is also below the damage.

Maineman750
02-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Is this a die crack or just damage to the coin? Looks to be something similar in the field above the date.

Good point Steven ! I guess I should have looked at the pictures instead of just answering the question.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

amnight
02-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Bob, you are right. I do see a little tiny scratch going through the S and 7 also in the bust is where you can really see the scratch. Thanks for catching that!

GrumpyEd
02-28-2013, 02:41 PM
These raised scratches happen when the scratch is sharp and deep.
If you take an xacto knife and scratch a coin then look under a scope it can look like a raised line because the scratch it tiny but the metal it raised up is larger. After some circulation and toning they look even more like a raised line.