PDA

View Full Version : How many 1946s inverted mint marks struck?

amnight
03-13-2013, 09:36 PM
I wanted to know if anyone knows about how many of these were struck? Also, would a complete inverted S be worth more than an inverted S with a gap in it?

simonm
03-13-2013, 10:08 PM
I wanted to know if anyone knows about how many of these were struck? Also, would a complete inverted S be worth more than an inverted S with a gap in it?

The gap is just a result of later die stages. I personally don't think there are any price differences related to the gap.
As to how many were struck, I think Chuck posted a thread on them some time back, not sure...

amnight
03-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks Simon.

-Steve

GrumpyEd
03-13-2013, 11:46 PM
No idea how many were struck but I doubt it was something they would have pulled a die out of use for even if they noticed.

I wonder why they ever used mintmark punches that weren't symmetrical. A symmetrical one would do the job and eliminate the possibility of using it inverted.
Since they changed styles midyear and used different styles makes me think they only bought punches when needed and only kept one on hand. I would have expected they'd buy a batch of them all the same so they could replace when needed and no style changes but they didn't think that way.

The gaps in some mintmarks might be a combination of punches wearing out and how heavily they punched the mintmarks.

seal006
03-14-2013, 01:28 AM

I guess one would first need to know how many coins a typical die from 1946 produced? Then see how many die parings have been found? At least with the answer to both of those questions, one could begin to see an approximate figure.

Maineman750
03-14-2013, 02:35 AM
Here is the study Chuck did on the 1946-S mint mark.He found 2 in a study of 10,010 1946-S coins :http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19371&highlight=inverted

jcuve
03-14-2013, 04:57 AM
The die seems to have had a full die run being examples of LDS have surfaced. So whatever the average die life is in for a 1946 die, would be the most probable guess. Searching is hampered by not knowing which mintmark is which, what an inverted ball serif would look like, not understanding mintmark position related to variety identification and a lack of publicity.

Justafarmer
03-14-2013, 06:29 AM
Which would indicate it is no more rare than any other variety produced in 1946.

liveandievarieties
03-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Which would indicate it is no more rare than any other variety produced in 1946.

Not at all, far from the truth.

There were HUNDREDS of other dies with different style S mintmarks. There was only ONE die with an inverted S.

Justafarmer
03-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Not at all, far from the truth.

There were HUNDREDS of other dies with different style S mintmarks. There was only ONE die with an inverted S.

Sorry will clarify - no more rare than any RPM, DDO, DDR or other single die variety produced in 1946.

liveandievarieties
03-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Agreed, likely as available as any single-die variety produced that year. Possibly more findable because it's been overlooked for many years. We've cherried a few of these in the last couple of months, but not without looking through over 30,000 wheats. Not a common variety, but more attainable than the '46-S/D which I have never found in circ. wheats.

DCW
03-14-2013, 12:10 PM
I think this variety will gather steam. It's very cool and the only confirmed inverted mintmark in the whole Lincoln cent series to my knowledge. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.)

simonm
03-14-2013, 12:11 PM
I think this variety will gather steam. It's very cool and the only confirmed inverted mintmark to my knowledge. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.)

There are inverted mintmarks on other denominations, but this is the only one for a lincoln cent (as far as I know).

liveandievarieties
03-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Actually, there's a 1910-S (RPM #3) which is an Inverted S over Inverted S, but '46 is the only single punched inverted MM in the Lincoln series that I know of.

ray_parkhurst
03-14-2013, 04:15 PM
This topic is relatively new to me, so I have a few questions:

- There were total of 3 punches used in 1946: Trumpet Tail; Ball Serif; and Sans Serif...correct?
- Was there only one die known to have inverted S? and it is of the Ball Serif type?
- "Normal" is with ball serif on top, and "Inverted" is with ball serif on bottom, correct?

Thanks...Ray

SDP73
03-14-2013, 09:18 PM
I have 10 circulated rolls of these. Looks like it's time to break them out.

jcuve
03-15-2013, 05:31 AM
This topic is relatively new to me, so I have a few questions:

- There were total of 3 punches used in 1946: Trumpet Tail; Ball Serif; and Sans Serif...correct?
- Was there only one die known to have inverted S? and it is of the Ball Serif type?
- "Normal" is with ball serif on top, and "Inverted" is with ball serif on bottom, correct?

Thanks...Ray

Yes, 3 punches. As of now, only one die was inverted and it was a ball serif. And yes you would know as the ball would be lower and the upper would have that flat spot. The inverted die BJ found just so happened to be punched at an angle to the die surface (tilted) making the ball less visible. I have pics here: http://errorvariety.com/Varieties/1946-S_IMM-001_Inverted_S.html
(http://errorvariety.com/Varieties/1946-S_IMM-001_Inverted_S.html)