PDA

View Full Version : 1998p on a thick planchet

THE PENNY MAN
01-20-2009, 07:01 AM
I need help on what you call this, it is struck on a thick planchet.

1sgret
01-20-2009, 07:39 AM
First you need to weigh the coin and it should weigh 2.5 Grams. Then if it weighs more than that it is proably is struck on a Thick Planchet.
Or it could be a strong lst (Overpressure) strike if it weighs the normal weight.

Bottom Line it needs to be weighed.

dvn
01-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Looking at your images I can see the zinc showing through in some areas so it should weigh in the range of 2.5 grams. It could be that this is probably struck on a rolled thick planchet from a coil stock with incorrect thickness. I have seen a few of these during my years of searching circulated cent rolls.

But, as Joe correctly stated, the first thing the coin needs to be weighed.

Billy

grnwavdav
01-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Could it have been struck on a type 1 planchet without upset rims? I'm pretty sure I find a lot of those. Mostly in the early 90's.

kloccwork419
01-20-2009, 10:47 AM
HEY!! What are you guys? The CUD brothers??!!..lololol

I dont have a CUD quite that large..YET!!

mustbebob
01-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Dave,
Most (if not all) Type 1 planchets are very easy to detect and are a relatively scarce find. Sometimes, a misaligned die or an off center strike will give the appearance that the coin did not make it through the upset mill. This coin is a type II planchet for sure.

grnwavdav
01-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Dave,
Most (if not all) Type 1 planchets are very easy to detect and are a relatively scarce find. Sometimes, a misaligned die or an off center strike will give the appearance that the coin did not make it through the upset mill. This coin is a type II planchet for sure.
Thanks Bob. They must have all been MAD's then. I learn something new everyday!

CCC
01-20-2009, 05:20 PM
I will throw my thought's into this. If you look at TRUST it is a very weak strike whick leads me to beleive the obverse die was at the beginning of it's life. Grease filled. I also beleive that the pressure was set too high or the die compensated with the grease. Just my thought's.