PDA

View Full Version : Strange 92-D

Arjohn
03-21-2013, 07:43 PM
I'd love to show a picture but cant figure out how to get it here.... I has no url it is in my album here:~

http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=574&pictureid=6967

jallengomez
03-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Looks like Tester's Gun Metal Grey paint to me.

simonm
03-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Added the pics for you. Here is a message from the FAQ on how to attach photos.

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing before the URL and after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums in this way too.

And your coin looks like post-mint damage in my opinion.

GrumpyEd
03-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Looks like Tester's Gun Metal Grey paint to me.

Yes it does look like paint.
Try some soaking in acetone and it may come off.

Arjohn
03-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Thank you for the picture help.... The damage is not on the copper. The copper is missing. You can see the edges of the plating. Paint or some substance on it is not the answer. If you look above Lincoln's ear there is a small dot of copper. Around the letters etc -- the copper is ok but like it was over stretched and did not cover the zinc around the letter(s).... The copper isn't worn off as there is no wear on the coin....

seal006
03-21-2013, 09:05 PM
The reason you see copper specks in various places is because those are the high points. Look how there is no discoloration in the date. This is a foreign substance on the coin, perhaps paint as first suggested. The paint has rubbed off on the high points of the coin.

GrumpyEd
03-21-2013, 09:05 PM
I don't see any way that the plating can be on the date but not around it other than it was silver paint.
Or possibly some sort of acid was dropped in the center that took off the copper.

It does not look like a mint error, it looks like something post mint.

jcuve
03-22-2013, 01:38 AM
I agree, it is either a case of some thin substance being attached to the surface, worn off of the high points later, or something corrosive getting onto the plating and damaging the lower points. It does not look like a genuine partially plated copper cent. We have some info here: http://error-ref.com/Incomplete_plating.html - which reminds me I should add some detail shots of an example I have of the edge of the plating on the exposed zinc.

coppercoins
03-22-2013, 03:53 AM
Acetone. If it's paint, it will rub off. If it's missing plating nothing will happen.

I'm positive it's paint, but it looks like the OP is resistant to the truth - time to prove it to himself.

Arjohn
03-22-2013, 08:10 AM
You guys have been great -- spurring me on for more info. I have a 60X loupe and can see that the copper is definitely on top of the grey (let's call it zinc) -- but that does sound like some sort of acid except that the detail of Lincolon's face is so clear (which BTW would be obscured by paint on top as well). I am open to an acid that would dissolve copper but not damage zinc. I know the other way around but not that way. So I nosed around and found this: http://www.error-ref.com/Partially_Plated_.html It seems it does happen from time to time. Note in particular the bottom right pic. That is is how the edges of the copper/zinc areas look. The big problem is that the un-plated area is essentially in the middle (both O and R) of the coin... These show mostly edges, halves etc... I may have to take this in for a better look by another party....

Maineman750
03-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Try soaking it in acetone as mentioned. Acetone will not harm your coin and will at least prove/disprove the paint theory.I use acetone on almost every BU find just to avoid fingerprints.

seal006
03-22-2013, 08:27 AM
You guys have been great -- spurring me on for more info. I have a 60X loupe and can see that the copper is definitely on top of the grey (let's call it zinc) -- but that does sound like some sort of acid except that the detail of Lincolon's face is so clear (which BTW would be obscured by paint on top as well). I am open to an acid that would dissolve copper but not damage zinc. I know the other way around but not that way. So I nosed around and found this: http://www.error-ref.com/Partially_Plated_.html It seems it does happen from time to time. Note in particular the bottom right pic. That is is how the edges of the copper/zinc areas look. The big problem is that the un-plated area is essentially in the middle (both O and R) of the coin... These show mostly edges, halves etc... I may have to take this in for a better look by another party....

Or you could just do as so many of experienced members have suggested, use acetone and clean it right up.

jcuve
03-22-2013, 08:38 AM
So you're saying it has detail similar to my image attached? I just don't see how the plating could be present on top of ERTY or 199 and not in the fields. Nor do I understand the flat appearance to the gray areas. Plating happens before the coin is struck.

Not seeing it in person, I am not sure what else to add...

cimperialis
03-22-2013, 08:54 AM
I may have to take this in for a better look by another party....

I can assure you you're not going to find another group who knows better. I know you're new, but these people here have written the books on this sort of thing. There's no one else. It's a simple paint job, or some other chemical.

cimperialis
03-22-2013, 08:57 AM
So I nosed around and found this: http://www.error-ref.com/Partially_Plated_.html

And you do realize that one of the contributors of that website is here now telling you it's not a partially plated cent, right?

Arjohn
03-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Sounds like acetate is the next step...

Arjohn
03-23-2013, 08:46 AM
I gave the coin a good cleaning. Even soaked in acetone for a good while, figuring any paint on there could be 20 years old. It cleaned up pretty good. Now, looking at it -- the copper IS gone -- but with all the splatter (look to the right of LIBERTY along Lincoln's bead-line from ear to chin) I am suspecting acid (nitric as it affects copper but not zinc much?). Unless teh copper goes molten at stamping and the "sheet" was really really thin or something, it would explain the high edges still copper and the low areas zinc. Probable scenario -- an eye dropper of acid to the center and there fore complete removal (except for the little beads of build up) Then gradual spreading preserving the high letters but not the valleys, including the edge of the president's shoulder -- but not the actual sholder.... My conclusion -- acid... Front and back... Most likely nitric acid
Thank you all for your help with this -- far too easy to jump to conclusions... I think I'll keep it as a conversation piece

GrumpyEd
03-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Sometimes the main thing to determine is if it was an error or if it was damaged.
Since nothing done at the mint would cause plating only on high areas that sort of rules out any error.
Even though the pics look like paint, acid was my second thought. Sometimes pics can be confusing and looking in hand is better.