PDA

View Full Version : lighting with my dino lite

dabrin
04-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Given that the harsh LED lights that are in Dino lite are not acceptable, I've been using a full spectrum fluorescent bulb in a standard workshop type reflector lamp with 7 or 8 layers of tracing paper taped over the opening to diffuse the light to light my coins when photographing them. I'm still not happy with the light. It gives me a hot spot no matter how many layers of tracing paper I use. Also, the glare is too prominent. I thought about using a IKEA gooseneck LED light but don't know how to property diffuse the light. Does anyone have any better lighting setup for their Dino lite USB microscope? I don't have a single lens reflex type camera right now.

onecent1909
04-06-2013, 01:28 PM
no...I have just been "dealing" with the leds.... have you tried Styrofoam? one of my photo friends uses a styro cup to diffuse his flash unit...what about a large straight styro piece that is not very thick?

mustbebob
04-06-2013, 02:44 PM
I have a light box with gooseneck fiber optics. The light source for the box is a projector bulb, so you can get an idea of how bright that is. I diffuse the light with a white coin tube at the end ot the fibers, and I am able to dim the light with a variable rheostat. I still have glare problems with BU and proof coins, but I just play with it a bit.
Try white plastic of some sore if you can find something that can cover your lKEA or Dino light. Sometimes, you just gotta play with it until you find something that works.

papascoins
04-06-2013, 08:36 PM
I have been using a simple method for use with my IKEA Jansco LED Lights I got from Ray Parkhurst. The photos show how simple they work. I just cut some 'V' notches out of the top of a Bathroom Dixie Cup, then folded the tops down. The filter just slides right on to the light and holds itself there! Just quickly pull them off and quickly snap them on as needed. I never tried it, but this would also be a good way to lay some tissue paper (or another kind of paper) in the bottom of the cup for more or less 'dimming'.
I have been using these same cups for months now, they stand up to the heat and they are lasting well.

dabrin
04-06-2013, 08:46 PM
That's a great idea with the cups!! I'm using tracing paper now and will definitely try cups.