PDA

View Full Version : 1970 p lg date questions.

bowler
04-08-2013, 06:41 AM
I am showing a pic of a 1970 p lg date with what appears to be doubling of the 0 in date and liberty. I've looked at conca listings and CC and can't find an exact match to this. Most say lib of liberty or just 0 of date. This doubling appears they the R of liberty. Can I get some opinions on this coin. Pulled it from fresh BU ROLL. I see the Seperation on the B & R the best. This is the best pic I could get of it. I have to upgrade my camera. That's for sure. Thanks.

willbrooks
04-08-2013, 06:56 AM
I'm seeing a lot of die wear. Any chance you pull it back a little and focus it?

jcuve
04-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Something is going on in IBER. I fear machine doubling. What do you think? We have went over machine doubling 100 times, what is your self assessment as you have it in hand?

coppercoins
04-08-2013, 10:21 AM
First things first:

There is no such thing as a 1970P "large date" - they are all the same.

Comparing separation from a doubled die to a different doubled die from a different mint is useless. All doubled dies are unique unto themselves and cannot be 'grouped' by date as to where the attributes will appear or what they will look like.

Your image is too blurry and is not lit properly to show the cast of shadows that would be necessary to determine what you have. Any conclusions drawn at this point would be guesses without a much better image.

bowler
04-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Ok. I have tried to look the coin over again. My cameras messed up and I'm working on fixing it. Ill take better pics and post.
CC- thanks for the info on date.
J- in hand, I think there is something with liberty. In hand I think it's a doubled die.

But the picture I have posted here is of the date and I see Seperation lines on the 970. On upper left and lower right of 0
Left inside of 7 and 9.
The following picture I'm going to post is of pluribus. And notice the droopy centers of the p ,b, &r. Can I get your opinion on it. This coin is kinda making me crazy. Thanks for all the advice and help.

bowler
04-11-2013, 12:15 AM
Pluribus. Showing the lines at lower centers of P,R,B. look droopy.

coppercoins
04-11-2013, 04:10 AM
I don't know what to say other than you should get a few more coins of the same issue to compare that one to. It's completely normal. I cannot see your separation lines, and every image you have posted so far looks completely normal.

willbrooks
04-11-2013, 05:48 AM
I agree with Will. I'm seeing nothing to suggest a doubled die. That mushy look to the devices is quite common. It's die wear.

bowler
04-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks for your insight. Another one for the jar. Ill keep searching. I got an interesting 1909 vdb to show y'all. ;)