PDA

View Full Version : Variety / error

Vickilynn
04-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Hi,
I was getting ready to list some DDOs on Ebay and noticed that there are many listed in the "errors" section.
I am trying to chose a category and was looking for help.I know when I do a search I usually search the date of the coin, so in that case would the category even matter?
Looking for your input? Thanks Vickilynn
ps- Sorry if this is posted in wrong place.

Maineman750
04-14-2013, 03:33 PM
I believe all the DDO's and such are listed under errors because they don't have a variety category. Just do a search on doubled die and see where most of them are.

cimperialis
04-14-2013, 03:36 PM
I list all of mine in the error section.

Rollem
04-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Vicky, good question. The search on ebay is important.

Make sure of this. In your listing include key words of popular search.
Lincoln, error, variety,DDO,DDR anything true and searchable.

Like a lincoln collection 1909 to 1941. Yet there is only 30's to 41 in collection.
Some one searching would still see your item because you included 1909.

Oh well, maybe this wasn't what your ask.
Heck someone will clear it up.

James

Chugly
04-14-2013, 10:10 PM
I always list my varieties in two sections: one that corresponds to the denomination and date of the coin and a second, the "errors" section. As others have said, there is no other place for "varieties" at this point on ebay than the general "errors" section. I have gotten burned in the past by low exposure from not listing in both categories. Good luck, and I will be sure to watch for you!

Vickilynn
04-15-2013, 04:59 AM
Thank you everyone for your input & help. I do know how important key words are. I remember the days when you got a flame next to your listing if it got so many bids, turning it into a ( hot item ). I use to love that kind of expose! Vickilynn

busyeye
04-15-2013, 05:05 AM
Good question and thread. Thanks Vickylynn!

hasfam
04-15-2013, 05:40 AM
I remember the days when you got a flame next to your listing if it got so many bids, turning it into a ( hot item ). I use to love that kind of expose! Vickilynn

Wow, you remember that. That takes me back to my earliest eBay days in 1996-97 when I was selling red line hotwheels and other toys from the 60's. The flame and what's hot was fun, but I think people just migrated to those listings and everything else got ignored.
What is your eBay ID?

coppercoins
04-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Back in 1998 and 1999 I fought with eBay to have a separate category for varieties and I lost because they went with the incorrect PCGS way of handling the term. We all know that PCGS puts "mint error" on all non-normal coins regardless of whether they are a die variety or an error.

Yet another case of where someone who's not an expert can override an expert because they have money.

copperlover
04-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Great questions and great responses. I would love to see more of these type of questions. Thanks for all who contributed. I have had to do a very wide search to include errors, RPMs, DDO, DDR and the date. You never know what will pop up.

Lucien